Thursday, August 07, 2008

Indoors

Is where we are at lately. Illness and rain have sequestered us into our den.


This morning a tiny baby mouse the size of a large date ran through the open front door, peeped at us with giant mouse eyes, turned and ran out again. Was not sure whether to laugh or scream and so did a morphed version of both. At once. Then slammed the door and made myself a green tea. With extra honey. Slickin on those pounds with all of this medicinal Manuka honey for sure..... still, it's a tasty way to do it.

So, just finally when the chickens are in their newly built run and I only have to chase an escapee back a couple of times a day I thought I'd be free of uninvited house guests. Wrong again. Will be making a trip to the cat sanctuary next week, oh yes. The time has come when I can no longer ignore the little fury half-friends. Mouse traps have been snapping shut upon their squishy necks ever since we arrived courtesy of the man of the house but unseen to me as the whole thing makes me quiver. The boys are fond of telling their dad he will be back in his next life as a mouse (another bow to The Mountains of Tibet book).

Until the arrival of Mouser Cat and more fury excitement we amuse our rained-out summer selves indoors.

With the baking of strangely shaped blueberry cakes


...and of goats cheese and sun dried tomato tarts


We draw, glue and stick


Arrange early fallen leaves


Contemplate the summer goodies supplied by Jenny the Organic Veg Lady


...and dream of sunny beach days

7 comments:

Liz said...

We've also gone into craft overdrive due to the nasty weather. Our house is covered in glitter, it's everywhere!

emma said...

LOL at your karmic children.

And oooh how exciting! Mouser cat is on her/his way!!!! (how can you be sure you'll get a good mouser, I wonder, rather than a fat slobby sit in a chair cat?)

sharleen said...

Beautiful photos! I hope all are feeling well soon.
Mousers usually have larger ears :)

Claire said...

Emma - dunno - starve it ? :lol Joke.

emma said...

Problem with feeding them only a little in the hopes that they'll catch and eat mice is that they then go and find a more generous neighbour to live with... at least, that was our experience in my childhood.

nocton4 said...

such fab photos again x

Heart Felt said...

thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog, it's the only way I get to discover wonderful blogs like yours! I have very fond memories of Wales, we were there in November five years ago, loved it! xx from NZ.