Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Town trip



Where books are the name of the game here, our first stop is the library to unload heavy hard backed books and straighten spine in relief. Isaac drops them through the letterbox because as usual we arrive when it is shut for absurdly provincial two hour lunch break.




Window shopping


For me too. Only it's all on the curbside for ease and closer inspection!


Another of my favourite antique shops


Weird shop that the boys enjoy hugely - although courage does not amount to entering, only outside oogling!


Time for Ice Cream (turkish delight and chocolate chip)




Time to buy first delicious Padraig Cottage sheepskin boots for Esmé in the pink walled shop to the right.... the iron railed building to the left is the Butter Market and holds lots of goodies on market day.


They fit! In glorious technicolour!!!!!


Detour to look at the Crazy Tree. Indeed. Only at The Church of St Mary the Virgin could one see such a thing. Looking closely?






Another honesty bookshop and adjoining peaceful castle garden....




Final swing before home while I peek over garden walls to check out Old Man's veg garden....


9 comments:

Liz said...

We love Padraig slippers here :) That stone is a beautiful colour and I am very envious of that veg garden, mine seems to have degenerated into wilderness.
The tree is calling out to be touched.

sharleen said...

What a lovely place you live in. I have to say, everytime you post photos it seems so hobbitish to me :) I have never seen anything like where you live. Absolutely beautiful!

Claire said...

It's true. We live in The Shire :)

The Yarn Owl said...

You must live near my parents as I recognise those pics!!!!!

Heart Felt said...

Thank-you for sharing your lovely day, I'm intrigued with the rows of bookshelves outside? xx

nocton4 said...

the books, the nick -nacks, those slippers - seriously WOW and those ice-creams .. oh my.
x

Julie said...

Looks like you had a lovely day, the little booties are gorgeous!! Your town seems so familiar to me, do you have a book festival there in the summer??? I am pretty sure that Julian, Kalem and I went camping there when I was pregnant with Talia. A place famous for all it's quirky bookshops, I loved it there it was such a magical place, lucky you. X

Claire said...

Julie yes! That is where we live! So now you know :lol Not that it is much of a secret now :) This place is famous for it's second hand nook shops, every other shop is a book store of some description. There are also many many outdoor ones like the one in my pic, usually these are 'honesty' ones where every book is 30p or something and you post your money through a letterbox.

Claire said...

Second hand 'nook' shops??? I did mean *book* shops :)