Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Octagon Puzzle



We photographed the results of our patterns with the geometric octagon puzzle. We made so so many! We have had lots of play from this toy since we acquired it. You can see it being used in a different way here on my blog last year.



It also often gets used for making fences and walls for castle style battles or farm play and also as the outlines for car tracks or horse races etc. Since the boys are quite severely colour blind I dithered about buying this toy but actually it is used amazingly and accurately (when sorting colours) and tone/shade seems to work for them where colour does for me. In fact in many ways I have noticed Isaac sees things much more clearly than I do. For instance, a duck was nesting under our bridge hidden (to my eyes) in long long grasses of every shade of brown through to greens. I could not distinguish the duck AT ALL and would never in a month of Sundays have seen it had Isaac not pointed it out to me one day with fingers held to his lips to shuush my impatient unseeing self. It only moved from its nest at the crack of dawn and the ducklings hatched out and were away one morning before we were even up. But Isaac saw the quiet nesting mother duck where colour visioned dh and I had not!





















We bought the puzzle from Myriad.

4 comments:

Julie said...

What a COOL toy, definitely a great purchase! What an amazing toy shop, wish we had something like that here in NZ. Hope that you and lovely family have a fantastic weekend....X

Liz said...

Fabulous patterns, we've been thinking about one of these for K's birthday, it's nice to see them up against someone IYSWIM it is a lot bigger than I thought!

Becks said...

Fantastic puzzle. Nice to see how many years of interest it will provide. Mmm one on the list for christmas I think.

Monica said...

What a fun, wonderful, amazing toy!

And great things you create too!