Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Crazy Hat-Making



I have been rather crazy addicted to the hat making. I have thus far finished seven. But, the question is, er, why? What shall I do with them? I enjoyed making them so much and enjoyed looking through draws and cupboards for suitable wool items to convert, it was very...... eco warrior-ish feeling. Or would be if they had a purpose. Well of course, they do, they are hats after all but recipients would be nice :)



I have not photographed the two red ones I made last night but these are the others, and the BEST thing is that they fit my one year old and my nearly eight year old fantastically, both. You would be hard pushed naming which child the hat was designed for. They are uber versatile then (although, alas, as usual in the way of things here, they don't fit me, although I think I'd look a bit stupid in a pixie hat; far too alternative for a fully grown adult).



They are all made from Extra Fine Merino and so silky soft, perfect for Spring when you might not want a bulky knitted hat but still want some cosy breathable warmth. I have hemmed the raw edges properly and figured out a way to do so without compromising the turned back bit, they are so cute to sew. In that silly giddy way.

I have already contacted relatives to ask that they save me unwanted pure wool, merino, or cashmere clothing that I can recycle like this. I don't know really why but I am on a roll and it feels so *right* to be taking these hats and experimenting, so off I go...

7 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

I love them! You've got me started now too lol. :)

Cut&Alter said...

I love them too! In fact since seeing your first post I've been scouring all the op shops in our area to find a jumper to make one myself but to no avail! And who can have too many pixie hats?!

M said...

very jealous at your plethora of unwanted wool sweaters! I love making N wool pants out of them, but am hard pressed (here in the land of wool) to find those nice, thin, soft wool ones.
And *very* sweet hats. Yay clever eco-warrior you!

nocton4 said...

ohh I'd love to do a swap for one for my little Oscar's head please .... interested ???

xxx

Anonymous said...

i'm with M, i can never find nice wool jumpers around here. there must be another crafter taking them from the charity shops.

The Beauty looks beautiful in hers!

The Yarn Owl said...

They're lovely, you are so lucky to have so many wool jumpers, our charity shops are full of yucky acrylic ones around here!

Anonymous said...

ab-solute-ly sw-eet!