Wednesday, December 02, 2009

the pot spills over, plus a giveaway



I have written three unposted posts this week about various things on my mind: the act of surrendering and how only in the feminine sense it is seen in a positive light and how I am constantly contriving to surrender to the days and moments and find the joy in what is rather than fight against the tide (oh, in that way in which you can fall into thinking that a day is not complete without outdoor time, crafts, reading, play etc etc and pushing unsuccessfully to create these things rather than letting what happens just happen). There's the knitting and crafting I have been occupied with (hats, hats, recycled woolen vests, hats and a cardigan, Christmas gifts), how I like to clean and tidy my home and create that free flowing good energy from doing so (although the day to day, over and over picking-up can sweep away that frame of mind some what...) and lastly more food and immune functioning thoughts (mainly how I am taking a colostrum supplement and finding that despite being dairy free it's working for me).

This is a mix of all three since I never had the time to finish any of those posts and I don't much like going back rehashing and reshaping.









This morning we were up early so went for an early walk in the nippy air. Look what happened to the boys!

They had a trip to the Barbers in town.

Nits. Quite honestly was the cause and our battle with them (lengthy and full of woe). So for now with short hair they are gone and the hair is free to grow back; lice-free is my great hope.





I have been hat making again. It's kind of ridiculous. I could keep an army of people in hats. We have a basket load and yet I still make them, more and more, like the magic porridge pot that no one knows how to stop - I just keep making more and more hats... It is something I willingly indulge in over and over and then feel very silly over and over about and then spot another merino sweater in a charity shop (more pixie hats) or find a lovely ball of wool which would be perfect for this or that hat and so the pot spills over. Esmé could have a different piece of merino or cashmere covering her head every day of the week and still have a rainbow of choice to pick from later. Not that she cares, she'd wear the cat on her head if it obliged.









I found this local company that finds old wool clothing and then turns them into something new, 're-purposing' (what a new and popular blog word, it's everywhere, but fitting). I decided that with my mountain of thrifted wool finds and snatched no longer worn items from around here that I could probably fashion a whole wardrobe for my kids.... if only I had an over-locker. Is that the name of the machine? Don't know but I need one. But of course would buying one outweigh the cost of clothing I *could* have bought if I had not? Hmmmm. It's a tricky one. I'll have an ebay scan. My sewing machine does a poor job of some fashion of over lock stitch and it looks like I did it by hand (rather badly) in the dark, like someone doing touch type blind folded who doesn't know how.

I decided to make my niece a princess and pea doll and set complete with quilts blankets and felted pea for Christmas, but haven't found the creative surge for that just yet so I have been knitting. I decided to knit myself something and set about making the lovely Shalom Sweater. Only to find I had to frog it twice (what is with those instructions? Or is it me...) and so pulled it all off is despair and cast on a soothingly easy seed stitch cardigan for Esmé. Quicker, and easier and much more satisfying. And the hats? Oh yeah. Felix dropped Esme's hat some where when we were out (he is not a boy who can be expected to be given something and for him to still have it ten minutes later, unless it's an ice cream... actually no, that would certainly be gone within ten minutes). So I had to knit another for her. Then I knit one for a babe not born from the soft yarn I dyed earlier in the year (see little turquoise one above - all three trusty Little Turtle Knits pilot hats).





Food? Supplements? Cutting it short -



An easy one: the chooks and lovin each other; I feed them and they fed me, simple.

Oh! The giveaway! nearly forgot. If you'd like one of the above purple-lilac pure merino pixie hats (with the little felt love heart) then just post a comment and I'll pick one from a hat later in the week! See, so many hats here I need to give one away! Good for the soul in any case.....

If you want to make one of these easy hats then there's a link in the right side bar. Or here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Winner! Picked by The Beauty: Earthenwitch

Please email me your postal details and I'll mail the hat off to you on my next trip into town :)

claire dot ashbourne at google mail dot com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15 comments:

earthhearth said...

Ah Claire,
These hats are so beautiful and would look just perfect on our recently arrived baby no.6 - the gorgeous Constance Esme. With so many other knitting projects on the go (the most pressing being socks for her sister Flora) it would be a real treat to have a gorgeous homemade gift...
Also, I've been looking at the Shalom cardigan too - is it really awful? I don't think my brain can do complicated at the moment!
Big love
Ali xxx

earthhearth said...

Ah Claire,
These hats are so beautiful and would look just perfect on our recently arrived baby no.6 - the gorgeous Constance Esme. With so many other knitting projects on the go (the most pressing being socks for her sister Flora) it would be a real treat to have a gorgeous homemade gift...
Also, I've been looking at the Shalom cardigan too - is it really awful? I don't think my brain can do complicated at the moment!
Big love
Ali xxx

Pippa said...

The hats are beautiful, I love the re-purposed sweater hat, really clever. I wonder if this year, Minnie will keep a hat on her head if I make her a special one. She like to take old hats out of the dressing up box and wear them, so you never know.

I bought myself an overlocker this year and it's brilliant. For making clothes, I use it as much as the sewing machine. I've also used it for patchwork and practically anything else that needs a tidy seam.

Amber Liddle said...

Love those hats! I've only made one pixie hat b/c my machine didn't like working with knit and I can't find a proper needle. I really do need to know how to knit so I can make the little pilot hat, those are too cute!

Joxy34 said...

:-)

Can I ask... wool jumpers.. how easy is it to unravel them? The local chairty shops have some lovely jumpers in them, and I'm very tempted to buy to unravel so I can then use the wool to crochet with.. but I've never tried to unravel a jumper before - is there a knack? Or do I just cut a section to get a thread and then keep pulling???
Sorry probably seems ab it daft to be asking lol.

Anonymous said...

I adore the hats and know the perfect little person who would love to wear it. I am new to your blog and absolutely love it!

~Jenn

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Hats!

Have you seen restitch?
http://www.restitch.co.uk/
I discovered them recently...

Claire said...

Joxy I have never unraveled a jumper like that, or rather I have only when it was something I knitted then didn't like and it was SO kinky it was tricky to wind up, but once I did it was fine to knit with again. good luck iof you try it :)

Oh Pippa, now I am so tempted to buy one :lol Going off to look now.....

Lucy said...

Please count me in. My little girl loves purple and loves hats and loves "gnomey hats" best of all :o)

Earthenwitch said...

Love the pics of the new haircuts - one so solemn and the other quite wry-looking! Either way, they both look sweet with their new hair, and fingers crossed that they're no longer home to any, er, visitors. :)

The hats are gorge - the tiny daughter would love one, I am sure, so consider this our entry into the hat, as it were. Oh, and are the black chickens Barnevelder-related?

Miss Bliss said...

Pop my name in too please - they are gorgeous and I am rubbish at making things like that! xxx

Emma said...

Delurking because of the most gorgeous pixie hats!

I'm getting an old sewing machine next week, so will add to the project list.

Love your blog and your photos - really inspiring.

Emma
x

Claire said...

Gorgeous hats!

Hope the "visitors" are gone for good, they seem to visit here way too often for my liking! And I know one of my boys would be devastated if he had to have his locks shorn (as would one mama!)

Uma said...

Beautiful hats-and beautiful blog as always.

Your words and photos never fail to make me smile.

Uma x

Priscilla said...

Oh my darling daughter Vlier would LOVE a handmade purple woolen hat!