
How can it be that after 7 months of cutting out grains, dairy and sugar, not to mention potatoes and now nuts - I am still not feeling totally well? Well, I feel on top of the world, full of life and energy some days but others, urgh, I wonder if I'll be taking a trip to the A & E (which I did one night at 1 am, alone and anxious about my restricted breathing). So, I am doing something now I thought I'd never ever do. I thought (maybe in a silly superior way) that when it came to nutrition I had it sussed; I've read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, Sally Fallon, Cholestrol Myths... and just about every connected book amazon chooses to pop up at you in relation to these. I have so frickin many nutrition books I fear my kitchen shelves will soon snap in the middle from the sagging weight.
And still. And still here I am about to.... dah dah dah!
Go kinda Raw.
To start with. I am cutting out animal proteins, tis' true, and feeling a bit elated and excited and a teeny bit nervous. These two women have stories like mine and both went into either remission or improved their auto immune conditions radically by cutting out or partially eliminating animal proteins. I don't totally believe that a diet lacking animal products (especially fat) is ideal. For normal folk, yet others like me who find themselves being attacked by, well themselves - something is not right. So things need to be considered from a whole different angle. Like why am I attacking myself? Do I do this in other areas of life?
I think I do, uncomfortably, yes I do, I criticise myself a lot, I don't love myself as much as maybe is good for decent mental health to reflect in the physical. I think changing the way I think about myself might be transforming. Can I just be kind and accept that I am not perfect? Can I accept my body right now and love it, despite it's medical/biological 'imperfect' state? Can I embrace this potential disease and try to live finding out more about myself and life on the way?
Just maybe this is something I need to experience in this lifetime to be the person I need to be. I don't much like the idea of having an 'illness' in order to be that person but maybe it is so, or that I need to look at it not as an illness but as expanding who I am and seeing my body differently. I am facing these thoughts more and more often recently. Not much enjoying the aspect of viewing myself, but also finding it liberating too. The uncomfortable comes up - like how does a person love themselves? Do they need to? Why?
Yeah, I know the physical theories about why the body does this - this auto immune disease stuff, especially to women - we're just finished with, we've reproduced and life kind of lets us slide. That's a theory. Not a very nice one, obviously but seems true enough: we live in one of two states, either we are eating in a way that suggests to the body that there is food in abundance and so our bodies step down from cellular repair and maintenance and instead start storing fat and upping reproductive capabilities. If we live for too long in this state (er, mostly I'd say from the looks of most women) then we suffer on a cellular level. On the other hand there's a loop hole. We can stop this by calorie restricting our diets. Not a very popular thing to say in the face of Kate' Moss's recent famous out-of-context comments, but still, the facts remain that those on calorie restricted diets are healthier and exhibit less disease than those who eat more. Guidelines for exploiting this loophole while remaining in good health and not starving (for goodness sake, please don't suggest I mean that!) are outlined in Primal Body Primal Mind. How this appears to work: our bodies receiving the message that this is not a good time to reproduce, food is scarcer, so we up the cellular repair and regeneration and wait to reproduce, until food is more aplenty. Hence improved individual health on a cellular level as our bodies decide to wait. Good trick huh?
So despite seeing and researching almost non stop the biological and physiological aspects of disease, healing, conventional versus alternatives, I feel like I want to look at the other side too, like how I think and feel effects the state of my body. It surely surely must, everything points to it being true.
Can I nourish myself with wholly live and uncooked foods? Can I love myself enough to eat this way (am I right to view it as such)? Am I turning into a total hippy? Will I feel hungry? Will it mean longer in the kitchen? Will I loose even more weight (I don't need/want to)? I plan on eating fish still 4-5 times a week for now. And I am still taking my colostrum and fish oil supplements. But. Yeah, the meat the chicken the eggs - it's all going. I am taking the first teeny steps. I am liking Shazzie's books and blog, mainly because she is so confident and inspiring. I have some of her stuff already (Evie's Kitchen is my favourite, a great recipe book even if you don't have kids!). And I have just ordered myself a ton of books from amazon on health and healing and eating this way, so hopefully I'll find inspiration and a good feeling to resonate with doing this. Feel free to think I am crazy not to be supping up my bone broth daily. I did that already and it has not helped me like I thought it would.
I am trying it. What have I to loose? (Or rather, what might I gain? :) ) If it doesn't work out I can change. That's the brilliant thing about diet and nutrition, it's all under my control, it's something I can *do*. Not suppress symptoms and try to slow down the progression of disease which is all I am being offered by the conventional medical doctors I see; it's all they know, mystifying, and I feel somewhat that by not following their advice I am walking the plank. But my hands are not tied, in fact I feel like I am running down that plank, and diving in, shrieking with abandon, welcoming the blue water, relishing the chance to swim. For how long? Who knows? But who knows about anything? Really? I hate the fact that I have been labelled and slotted into this box, which is how I feel when I visit my Dr.
And we have made of ourselves living cesspools, and driven doctors to invent names for our diseases~ Plato
I don't like not feeling well. I don't like the fear. I especially don't like the fear. Why do I feel so much fear, why does my breathing get worse the more anxious I get? I fear dying and leaving my babies. This is supposed to be a jolly blog about jolly things, creative, happy, but what's the other side of that coin? The fear,the darkness. There can't be that lightness without this. And since I can write what I want here, Iam :)
I bought myself a jade ring and amazonite bracelet, so that when I see my hands I can remember that from now on I will view myself as a healing amazing person. Someone with health inside them. Someone embracing health, someone who is seeing and smiling and trying hard not to fear. Or accepting that fear comes with everything and just trying not to let it overtake me. I need to remember that the world is as full of fear as it is of hope. But really the hope should be bigger, shouldn't it? My hope is bigger than my fear.
And so - yesterday (ok, don't worry, back to reality) , here is what I ate, and felt, very very good :)
Breakfast: apple, green juice (celery, spinach, one pear - too hardcore for anyone else - ie, not sweet enough), sipped it on and off through the day, bit to hardcore for me actually). I'm going to stick with the greenness though because I wanna be green; mmwha, ha, ha! Some chia seeds left to set (like rice pudding) in coconut milk, with a little dash of agave.
Lunch: homemade red onion and flax seed dehydrated crackers with sliced avocado, salt and pepper, piece of coconut oil and tahini 'fudge', apple slices.
Dinner: large salad - with peas shoots, greens, cucumber, peppers, onion etc with a baked sweet potato and mackerel, plus my dh's eye watering mustard and garlic dressing.
~ More of my fudge as and when I fancied it during the day. Nettle infusion, lots of water, red bush tea and of course my supplements (many and varied).
I didn't feel hungry once, I felt full and never bloated or irritable, head achey as sometimes happens after eating.
I'll post about how this all goes for me :) I am picturing only health and a strong body from now on, no agonising bedside dreariness. Yeah, I anticipate the anxiety and doubt and worry still happening, but my aim is for that to be less.
I have no pictures to show of anything foody, but I do have a lot of this: Christmas in the making and crafting and cozying up in the chill. Plus a pic of The Beauty's stash, shhhhhhhhhh!



12 comments:
Oh Claire, I hope the diet goes really well for you and continues to give you better health, you deserve it. I too am at the crossroads of where to go with my diagnosis too. The regular choice of drugs or no drugs is depressingly cut and dried and there is little to choose between the pros and the cons of each. I've not thought much about my food, I live with a man who loves his meat and loves his snacks and I suppose it's easy to fall in line with that. Maybe I need to read more, think more and look to other ways of helping myself too. Very best wishes and continuing good health to you, brave lady. xxx
you sound so good. And yes, loving and accepting ourselves - we are so conditioned not to do that.
I wonder whether you can find a safe space to truly feel the fear and the anger and the worry, and watch them ebb and flow. And then realise that the "I" is not the self feeling the fear but the self watching the fear-filled self. And then sending love and forgiveness and strength to the self experiencing the fear.
Ah yes. I am advocating that you actively work to develop schizophrenia :eyeroll
I cut out Gluten years ago as diagnosed Celiac disease but want to cut dairy and meat - how does your partner feel as mine is v. supportive but would miss meat and cheeses. Let me know how you go and await recipes, wishing you boundless energy and vibrant health. x
Oh Emma! You jst reminded me to read Tolle!!!!! Brilliant! And wonderful to see you back online, I have missed you SO MUCH my dear friend :)
My dh would do ANYTHING. If I asked him he would eat whatever, but I tend to make what he likes and something else for myself. Like two different soups, or meat for him (with the same slaad I have etc). It's not too tricky, we eat at the same times, just different things! I don't mind the cooking/food prep time to be honest. Being in the kitchen is quite theraputic for me....
Thanks Pippa. Where are you at with your MS and the drug options? What's being offered? Do you have blood tests what are they are what are the results? I mean, not to pry! I am just very interested - like when you have a falre up do you measure your CRP or what?
I'm just embarking on a high-raw diet (again! It's not the first time over the past 8 or 9 years) and also love Shazzie's books. I love Kate Wood's books too. The Fresh Network do a good magazine as do Funky Raw (although it doesnt come out very often). The raw chocolate that Kate Wood's site sells is gorgeous too! :-)
Good luck with it, I look forward to reading how you get on. I think I'll be posting about it on my blog too as time goes on.
I bought the book you recommend but havent had a chance to read it yet. I've finally realised that I really shouldn't be eating wheat and have cut it out now. I'm also considering cutting out all grains and dairy products but one step at a time I think - the problem I've had in the past is trying to do it all at once, decided that I'm going 100% raw, having a blip and eating something cooked then giving up. Not this time though!!
thank you so much for sharing whats going on for you and well, baring your soul really. you are an inspiration! i've slipped into fairly bad eating habits lately, yet i really do long for a high raw diet. its so much harder with no support and (fussy) kids in tow, isn't it! not to mention lack of time to do all the reading, planning and food prep. blogs like yours show me that a conscious well planned diet is achievable. i have had health problems in the past - reactive arthritis and a chronic fatigue type illness. its easy to see how these could occur for me again so i really should be stronger and find time to make the effort. i am really hoping your new diet has amazing results for you. will look forward to hearing how you're getting on.
Laura xx
p.s. the items in that last photo look so familiar to us :) very similar to phoebe's bits. so want the padraig cottage slippers for both my babies!
Hi Claire, Really lovely honest post. I find raw food such an interesting subject and an idea i have toyed with many times.
www.happyfoody.com
is another good raw food website if your interested.
Good luck
Charlotte xx
<3
Do you have a copy of A New Earth (Tolle?) I like it a lot better than The Power of Now. I'll send it to you if you don't have it (I still have your Birthing from Within, if you want to pass it on to someone else, or if there might be useful things in there for you manifesting health and strength)
Also, look up Mooji on Youtube. Here's a possibly relevant one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdLl3HVYM0
He's a wonderful enlightened being!
I started reading The Power of Now last night and am loving it. Last time I picked it up, it just felt flat and dull. I put it aside, thinking maybe later ( I felt the same about Virginina Woolf!). Anyway, I am just reading it and savouring it. It's a bit mind bending. I don't have the New earth one, that would be great to read too.
Oh, just pass that Birthing from Within book on to a kindered soul if you should find one, and if i do first I'll ask for it back, I had forgotten all about it but don't need it or anything. I still have that great home ed book of yours, plus the Anne books (lovely, lovely Anne books!)..... I really will get to the post office one day (or actually am thinking about a Bristol Zoo trip with the boys in the New year maybe I could hand them over then?
Claire xoxo
I'd forgotten about those books! No hurry :-)
But if you do come to Bristol Zoo just shout and we'll host you, with half price entry tickets and everything!
Hi Claire - I've PMed you via the GP forum.
Just came across this gluten free vegan blogspot - really great recipes
http://glutenfreeveganfam.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment