Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the patterns, the tiny things



I love the patterns I see in nature; the variations in symmetry of branch and tree trunk against the sky. The lines of field and hedgerow, fence and wall. Animal track, orchard planting, rivulets of streams both meeting and parting - patterns man made and springing from both plant and animal life. Patterns too in sound; of bird calls, the twittering and coo's. Rhythmic and repeated, endless and mysterious in meaning. I marvel daily at these things. Tucking them away and committing to memory their lessons and beauty.











The Welsh sky sometime rolls in, leisurely and yet different moment to moment, should you look away, distracted say by moss along bare naked branches. This is always slightly hidden and yet when you look it's hard not to see it was there all along, bursts of winter colour.







I love talking a walk with Felix, he is easy easy company. He demands nothing on these walks, just quietly looking and looking. Saying little, dreaming away stick in hand until something strikes him, a vision (real or imagined) and he tells me, surprising me from my own thoughts and dreams. We walk slowly and then take hands silently and run for a bit, stopping breathless to look at some new thing, tiny or large.





He wanted to take a photo of me so I gave him the camera. I always feel nervous on this other side of it, but there you go, with Fe I let it go.



The others met up with us here and there, they preferred bikes today.







In the drive back at home, I kicked a pile of dead leaves and found one of last years' little sail boats. There are so many laughs and yells and squeals of cold water on bare skin tied up with those knots.



The garage roof is a whole world. The moss delights me constantly, it's a small simple little thing to take pleasure in, a place you'd never think to look, unless you actually looked. It's truly alive..... magic.







Was thinking about this song today, had a rummage around and finally found it on CD. A friend introduced me to Ida... I don't know, maybe ten years ago? Can't believe it's been so long (Carina, still think about you often :) ) but I am sure it is so. Still adore this band. Their music suits me when I am in this sombre, recollecting and dreamy-happy mood. Maybelle is one of my favourites.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Gorgeous pictures and a beautiful song too, I have never heard of them so thanks for that, will have to check them out, love discovering new music! My Grandma was called Ida and I always had it in the back of my mind as a possible name if I ever have a daughter, but, well, you know what my surname is now so maybe not!

Claire said...

:lol

It is a pretty name though....

Sian said...

is it just me or does the third pic down look like a dog/dragon with pointy nostrils and a really long arm (the mossy twigs)? - maybe I need more sleep : )

Jacqui said...

My kind of walk :)
xx