Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crafty Sunday



Isaac was horse riding this morning with his dad so Felix and I decided to do some more of the autumn inspired crafts we embarked upon earlier in the week. He got a head start in his Christmas gift making and made his sister two woollen bracelets.




Then we started lantern making.



So necessary in Autumn when you get to eat supper in a room where the daylight has already slid towards another land. We make far far too many of these every year, we just get into the groove of tissue paper and glue and then it's applied everywhere. Particularly pleasing is the effect of tissue paper bits covering a jam jar with a tea light inside. But today we made card ones for the table and window. Without my noticing Esmé grabbed a handful of blue torn shreds and stuffed them into her mouth, taking on the look of manic lollipop sucker. She looked frightful and we laughed at her depraved looking state, she joined in as if really on a sugar high. I made my customary fern candle holder. I make these every time, surely the fern has one of the most beautifully shaped delicate leaves? They look fab with light behind them I think. Here's a hint though, be sure to cover the 'window' with a sheet of white tissue, dab and stick you coloured tissue on (or leaf) and then add another layer of white to seal it - we have had some exciting table top fires in previous years when the paper and leaf dry and curl dangerously towards candle flames. Dinnertime is surreal when one can boast of table displays of fire - although the scent of singed hair on a frazzled tea-towel wielding mother spoils showy effect somewhat for guests.



We rolled some beeswax candles too, we seem to have masses left over from last winter so before they are crammed back into the craft cupboard I need to make a mental note to drag the stack of honey sheets out again for winter rolling. I love the smell of beeswax - it's linked in my mind with polishing and care and love bestowed upon home and hearth.



Today though our home smells of woodsmoke as enthusiastic child-pyromaniacs toast marshmallows outside on the pot bellied fire stove. Hope they save me one!

4 comments:

Becks said...

Oooh thanks Claire, you've given me the idea for a new craft session tomorrow ;-)
Lovely lanterns.

Anonymous said...

I came across some sheets of kite paper in a cupboard the other day and have set them to one side. Hope ours will look as lovely as yours!
Isaacs bracelets look fun to make, I'll have to let Rose have a go at some of those!

nocton4 said...

love the lanterns.
where do you buy your beeswax sheets for candles please ? I know Myriad sell a kit but it only has 5 sheets in, I think.
x

Claire said...

We bought it in bulk from Thornes bee and supply company.