Friday, September 05, 2008

Mei Tai



So much for discussing and reviewing one sling a week! More like one a month at this rate. S - L - O - W is the pace here, I just start getting into the groove of a week to find it's over and Friday has arrived. This is my new Mei Tai I have another but it needs dying and of course it's much easier to sit here and click click and a new one arrives pronto with the post than it is to make a journey somewhere to buy dye and then find the precious time to dye it - so my eco soundness found me buying another sling. My dh is a fan of this one. It is super comfy, slightly padded straps and lengthy enough if you are less than svelte (check for dh) but not huge dangly straps of several meters or anything outrageously unmanageable. I picked the black and white because it's the one combo of colours I yet to own on sling fabric :lol So here is the lovely babe asleep after a brisk-ish walk. It is my sling of choice for shopping, marching through town and walks. Around the house I still opt for one of the ring sling for ease, super ease (how does a mama survive without a ring sling or two? I swear they keep us all sane and Esmé quiet as a mouse - which helps towards the sanity I have to say).

'Nother angle.


Can you just SEE those adorable merino leggings? They are my favourite item of clothing. Ever. I wish I could both buy them in adult sizes and that my physique warranted legging wear. Luckily I get to see them in full glory and cuteness on an adorably chubby female (it's allowed when you are small - not even allowed but every inch is cooed and adored and fawned over). If any of your children are without merino leggings then I suggest a purchase is in order just for the giggle cute factor if not the fabulous warmth, softness and vibrancy of colour (we also have a lime green pair to switch with). Swoon. Bonus feature - I decided to lanolise them and try them out as day time 'longies' instead of the current wool nappy pants that are a bit small. They work! I think a bit more wear and another lanolin treatment or two are required but thumbs up. Miles cheaper than any other longies I have seen (or the cost of wool required to make a pair). Not for nighttime use though really, for me double thickness wool is better or a tighter knit for nights.

Once upon a time I imagined I'd make several pairs of longies by myself but in fact I have made nil. Can't find the inspiration for them, I prefer knitting jumpers and cardigans and socks and hats. And I am knitting again, which is enormously satisfying, I'll post my pics soon. I have knit my first ever pink thing, very funny after my boy-palate of past.

6 comments:

nocton4 said...

off to have a look at those super cute leggings
x

Julie said...

mmmm CUTE leggings! I have been wanting to knit a pair of longies for T for ages, but so many other things to knit. Can't wait to see your knitting pictures by the way.... I meant to ask actually what pattern did you use for E's little purple cardie???? Was actually thinking of maybe using the AMAZING wool (thank you so much) that you sent over for a little cardie or maybe some longies (finally)??? I also have my eye on a gorgeous litle dress to knit.....

Love your new sling, I have just bought a dulce&zoet sling, it's a NZ brand. I am going to put some pics up on my blog, once I get the hang of how to wear it properly that is. Not sure that there is a perfect sling out there for me.

Have a great day...X

Monica said...

ohhhhhhh! I had spotted the leggins before you mentioned them! Off to check the site, even if it is just for drooling...

And do keep up with the sling series, even if it is sparsly. I am enjoying it!

Claire said...

Julie, the pattern is from the Debbie Bliss book Baby Knits for Beginners. I use this book so much, I add on bits of other patterns to hers, I adjust them I size up to make them fit my toddlers.... lots of use. plus my very very favourite hat pattern in here. I have made tens of these hats for every baby I come across. So yeah, it would be a very well thumbed and well used book. If you don't buy it yourself I could photocopy the pattern and send it to you if you like.

M said...

N has some bright purple wool leggings my mum brought back from Oz and I've lanolinized them to use as longies as well (or over another wool cover for nighttime extra-sureness).

I finally found a knit pant pattern I could live with (actually in a pattern book DP bought me for my birthday as I am forever too cheap to buy myself knitting books - just drool over them for years at the bookstore!) and am 1/4 way through so we shall see how they turn out. I still can't bring myself to try a sweater or cardigan. Some weird psychological road block and then N already has dozens so it seems a waste. Soon she will grow out of these and then I may succumb to that Debbie Bliss book you are constantly endorsing ;) Really, they stuff you make out of it is gorgeous and doesn't look that complicated - I mean, I can knit socks and baby dresses so surely I can knit a bloody cardie?!

By the way - have been meaning to tell you for ages that the blue wool I sent you was local Canadian made on an island a few minutes from where N was born on a very small farm filled with happy, loved sheep and it is the *best* for felting. Otherwise it just seems a bit dull and scratchy!

The baby-nut is asleep on my lap. Can you tell from the blathering?
haha

xo

Anonymous said...

[p]When the boys got their feet back on the ground and civilians started following the fashions of [url=http://uggbootuk.webstarts.com]cheap ugg boots for sale[/url] their heroes, the boot were known simply as Uggs . Even [url=http://www.ugbootonlinesale.co.uk]ugg boots sale online[/url] some men can not accepted new Ugg Boots, but still some of them wear one Ugg Outlet in the street . Some fashion followers spare no expenses to spice up their looks with the newest editions from worldwide famous [url=http://www.ugbootonlinesale.co.uk]ugg boots sale clearance[/url] brands . But [url=http://www.ugbootonlinesale.co.uk]ugg boots uk online[/url] it is true . * Loads of consumers around profits feel the need awesome greedy, plus eco-friendly tea's health benefits minimal serious plus panicky now days . [url=http://uggonlineuk.webstarts.com]ugg boots uk sale[/url] 1 . [url=http://uggbootsale.webstarts.com]ugg boots on sale[/url] classiccardyuggs . ugg boots cheap Adi Dassler is the founder [url=http://uggbootsale.webstarts.com]cheapest ugg boots[/url] of UGG Boots Brand, who is a shoe maker and an amateur athlete, as well.[/p]