Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Felted and loved up



In the manner of Heart Felt I totally plagiarised her felt embellishments for two gifts today. One is a tiny newborn cardigan knitted from organic cotton that Esmé never even wore once as she was far far too big for it. Oh well. It has sat waiting for a tiny babe to be born so I could pass it on to and hurray my cousin had a 6lb baby boy last week and so I have a gift all ready :lol But.... it needed *something* .....it seemed lacking some how and this morning in a snatched ten minutes of baby nap I cut and sewed a little bird just like the ones in the above blog/shop. Very pleasing.

Then I decided to jazz up an outgrown pea green sweater of Esmé's for baby cousin Evie with another birdie, this time lilac and chocolate, now it's that little bit extra loved up. Voila!



This is the what happens when you try to take photos with the baby right by your side. She's not quite ready to give it up yet. Obviously.



Just squeezed into her purple cardigan, for one of the last times, alas, but pleased to be getting each drop of warmth and comfort from it - Happy Beauty :)

8 comments:

Heart Felt said...

Oh! My quirky bird, he is very adorable.

Claire said...

I very much hope you do not mind! I love your ideas for wool clothes making and had to steal one for my gifts - but for sure it is just a gift thing :) What sorts of dye do you use btw? Was meaning to ask for ages. I have a wool blanket for my bed which is the ugliest colour - sort of pale brown (bought in a sale) and I want to make it look pretty.

M said...

gahhh. . Claire, how do you do that in 10 min of nap time? In 10 min of nap time I would possibly be able to locate scissors and thread. 30 min of nap time, maybe the whole deal.

hmmm maybe I should stop typing and get back to these knitted pants!

Claire said...

Ahhh well... one mystery solved: I already had my sewing box by the bed (it has been there for ages because I have been sewing this ridiculous felt block for Esmé that is taking forever) :) I already had held the paper to the computer screen the day before and traced the bird. I had tailors chalk and felt picket out. It was a surgical procedure :lol I had spent the time it takes getting E to sleep to think about the birdies and how I would do them.

Actually the second one was quicker than quick - less than ten minutes and I did that sitting on the floor by the bed while E rolled and gummed at a wooden hammer and silver jewellery of mine.

If I had waited to do it all at the nap it wold not have happened at all. So there. Slightly er, planned you could say. Not the spontaneous thing it must come across as written here

btw, did the wool hat fit? Thouhght it might just be a squeeze.... on the plus side tho, Felix has an identical one and it has stretched over the years to fit my head, wool is great like that cisn't it.

Heart Felt said...

No Claire, no problem, quite flattered actually! I'll email you regarding dye. xx

M said...

nah, the hat fits perfectly and without even stretching so it will grow with her still. She looks so cute in it - it is such a *you* hat - I'm sure I've seen photos of Fe's over the years . . . .noro kureyon?

Claire said...

yep :) Noro Kureyon! One of my faves still but have not used any since your hat. They are selling Silk gardenin my local wol shop and and keep going in and taking a peek, weighing it up, trying to decide whether or nit to buy a single ball and for what purpose.... the deciding bit is one of the nice things tho.

Maybe a winter hat for Esmé she has none as yet.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is really cut ewhat you did, plus you have an adorable model as well.

Gill in Canada