
So, what to do with the ragged woolly arms left over from the jumper to pixie hats? Looking at a heap of sweater-arms put me in mind of legs, or rather leggings. So with another two little easy lines of sewing we have woolly trousers galore here. The first pair I made were for Esmé and were square set and so EASY I laughed. And not the superfine merino either, a thicker wool (wool soaker/longie potential?) which look more like real trousers anyway. But the rest of my pile of body-less sweaters had diagonal set sleves.... hmmmm, after a mistake or two I saw easily that I just needed to cut like they were really square set. Here's how to use up those arms:
Cut on the string line

You will then have these:

Next sew together from the back (with fabric right side to right side, or er, butt cheek to butt cheek if that helps visualise), right through to crotch and then up to the front waist line. One nice easy line of sewing.

You can see the basic shape now:

Turn back the waist line an inch and sew around leaving a space to thread some elastic (insert a safety pin through the elastic for ease of threading). For sizing, put the elastic around the child's waist and add an inch. Use the extra inch for sewing together once threaded around the waist band. Sew the little gap up and Voilá - from Arms to Legs - your very own Woolly pants.




Well, we like them :) I am thinking maybe cotton arms from unwanted long t-shirts might be turned into summery style trousers too? Ohhh, the possibilities for revamping clothes, turning old to new is endless! BTW, Felix is totally colour blind and pink and blue look the same, so when he saw the wool trousers he said Ohhh are they for me ? (gender colour stereotyping just never happened here as both boys are colour blind). They are so soft – like skin! And then slithered into them snake-like. He has worn them for two days straight now. His particular ones were an old lambswool cardigan of mine that I accidently threw in the wash and although the arms were still octopuss-y the body would not fit over my milkers (as we call them here, bovine like). So now they have a new life (and yes I turned the body into a pretty pink pixie hat too – taking my grand pixie hat total to 8 so far).
7 comments:
Cor you make it look so easy! :)
I'd love to have a go at sewing - maybe one day I'll be able to get a machine to give it a go :)
Joxy.
Love the wee bird on the hat! I've got a bag of jumpers somewhere I keep meaning to do this with but knitting always seems to win out!
I am so inspired!!!
We have spent so long trying to find leggings for my youngest boy...only girly ones with frilly edges or no elasticated cuffs in the shops....these are a fabulous way to make some!!!
Watch out boys, I'm after your jumpers!!!
They are so easy it is funny to make them, I almost didn't bother with the tutorial as they are the sort fo thing ANYONE could make.
I used only adult sweaters for all of these, but I never know who they are going to fit! Sometimes Fe and sometimes Esmé, alas no one wears jumpers with arms long enought to be legs for an eight year old or evn, for me and adult. Isaac said we would have to go to the Giant's-charity shop to look for some... huh? You know!! The place where giants take the clothes they don't want!
Of course, that popular place...
Loving these trousers...now only to find some 'unwanted' jumpers and to master my sewing machine...
I followed your tutorials and made Phoebe some trousers and a couple of hats yesterday. Thanks for posting them. They turned out pretty cute! Pics on my blog. :)
Laura (Mamoo) x
I love this creative idea for repurposing old sweater arms.
Post a Comment