Monday, July 19, 2010

hugs and bread (but not for me)



Our home grown chick is delightfully funny. Two others are sitting on a motley collection of bought/swapped eggs; blue leghorn, vorwerk, a hybrid or two and many of their very own. Not expecting all to hatch or survive so our expanding empire of chooks surely will not amount to another 20? The tiny newborn is a week old and thriving on ground up seashell, hard boiled egg yolks and crumbed grain, the best diet apparently. Seems so, it's bouncing around like mad and growing by the day.



The garden is a also pretty and tasty in the middle of July.













Being grain free means bread making is not high on my agenda. But the boys and girl love it and also it's cheaper and vastly more healthful without the flour treatment agents in shop bought, for sure. Bread making is frugality at core I always think. Once I get kneading I disappear into the action and am startled to find time has passed and my dough is a elastic lump ready to rise. I cannot fathom why anyone would want a bread machine when there is this daily meditation to be had for mere pennies. Such a machine would clutter the kitchen too and gawd knows I've enough appliances already for several kitchens. My number one tip for bread making is to clear and scrub you kitchen table to start with and do it all there. So much more space and much easier to clean and there's no fighting and squeezing to be in at the kitchen worktops. I always feel very medieval and oldy-worldy when bread making. Not that I eat the stuff, but there is a timeless quality to kneading that feels ever so good to be part of. Plus there's the smell. It's enough to do it all just for the smell.









Rising splendidly.



Even doubled the recipe lasts hardly three days.



One of the out loud reading books on the coffee table right now. Oh how I love the rhyme and rhythm of Lear. Esp. the Jumblies. Maybe more so than The Owl and The Pussy cat. I keep hearing a snatch from Isaac as I pass him by, Far and few, far and few are the land where the Jumblies live. Their heads are green and their hands are blue and they went to see in a sieve.



They do love each other (despite the daily bickering). Isaac takes any opportunity that his sister allows to hold and hug her. She's a spiky thing ordinarily, Mary Mary Quite Contrary. So he takes it when he can.



A new favourite: snap peas dipped in deli hummus. Summer in a few delicious snappy mouthfuls.



Boat making.



The cat is always near, soaking us in and seemingly loving to sniff the flowers as much as this The Beauty.





Amazing. Isaac found a true-blue-100%-genuine FOUR leaf clover! I have never seem one before. Only mutant three leaved ones pretending to be four. This has four clear separate leaves. Good luck for the rest of his life we think.



Skirting around wheat fields on daily walks I bring handfuls home for the chickens to feast upon.

4 comments:

Earthenwitch said...

Gorgeous pics - loved the one of Isaac with the Beauty.

Also, did you see your hat-check in the Green Parent this month? :)

Claire said...

hat check? I don't have the magazine this month - what is it?

Earthenwitch said...

There's a bit about mothers who blog, and you're in the list of recommendations! Can't remember the page no., but definitely a pat-on-the-back moment. :o)

Shelby said...

That bread looks so yummy and therapeutic! It looks like your kids are having fun kneading the dough. It’s so important to get kids involved in the kitchen, since research shows cooking with kids empowers them to consider portions and helps enforce important skills, such as teamwork, math, following instructions, and fine motor skills. That’s why I work for The Kids Cook Monday, a new initiative of the Healthy Monday campaigns that encourages families to cook and eat together each week. To find out more about The Kids Cook Monday, check out our website at http://www.healthymonday.org/the-kids-cook-monday/

We’re looking for families to take on the challenge of cooking together each Monday and sharing their experiences on their blogs. If you’re interested in getting involved, please email me at TheKidsCookMonday@gmail.com. Thanks!

Mayo