
I regularly buy The Mother magazine. In fact I think I have every issue ever published. I like that there is an alternative to the 'normal' : aka grossly abnormal modern parenting out there. BUT. I don't dig it all. Sometimes the articles are so unbalanced as to be laughable. But then often I feel irked that people may read all and believe all. It's like, if something is alternative, in comparison to mainstream it must be *more* true. As though we are being privy to some fantastic secrets of the health industry we wouldn't ordinarily see, or something.... I have my gnawing bone already with it after my birth story was published heavily edited. Edited in such a way as to make my birth fit in with the ethos of the magazine. Rather than simply true, the way it really was, beautiful in it's own way. How many more birth stories are edited like this, how many women inspired yes, but other left to feel that they didn't quite manage the perfect natural birth? The latest issue had an article about the myths of protein.
Here are my bones with it:
Firstly it's all about the dangers associated with HIGH animal protein diets. High. Not normal, the mentioned 75-100g of meat is not as far as I see it necessary even for someone who was 6 foot 6 inches and a ran a daily marathon. A more usual level might be at the 40g mark. In understandable terms a can of salmon and two eggs wouldn't be pushing 30g. Atkins high was the amounts in the article (although were one unfamiliar with quantity may not have known). Yes, of course, commercially raised animals and the commercial industry would like us to believe we need huge amounts of meat protein. It's insulting to suggest we'd think otherwise. But what most eat (surely?) if they do and read the magazine, is no where near that, nor do the carnivorous magazine readers eat commercial meat, I am sure! Or should not in any case if ethical eating is the order of the day.
High protein diets: soy, animal, grain or otherwise are not necessary for good health. Agreed. But what about regular 'normal' levels? This is not discussed.
Animal proteins do not cause acid alkaline imbalances. Protein helps *regulate* the acid-alkaline balance of blood and tissue. When protein is lacking there may be a tendency for acid-alkaline imbalances. Reference
The premise that meat eating causes bone loss: untrue. Unnatural isolated powdered proteins from soy, egg, milk and meat are often fed to industrially raised animals, the negative resulting calcium imbalance which occurs has been pounced upon by meat critics who report untruly that it is meat eating that causes osteoporosis.
Protein naturally goes hand in hand with fat, fat soluble vitamins A and D are needed for the proper assimilation and utilisation of protein. Lean meats and proteins without the fat can induce pretty poor health and mineral imbalances.
References here and here and here.
Soy! Tofu! Example of *ethical* protein? What a hoot. Where does soy come from? The UK? Nope. What a MASSIVE, monstrous environmentally damaging footprint eating a tiny heap of soy beans does. Forget the eco warrior footprint being a whisper of a delicate breezy sand print, washed away by the clear fresh non polluted wind... tr la la. Eating soy is like a crater of a footprint, bouldering into the earth. I can't even be bothered to reference it. It's a no brainer.
And healthy? Well traditional fermented soy products certainly can be, eaten alongside traditional foods from country of origin ie, when eating sushi fermented soy helps the body digest the fish, but unfermented milks, cheese and processed tofu substances (Fakin Bacon anyone?)? Healthy?!
Quotes from Weston Price website and related masses of articles on soy:
Soy Interferes with Enzymes
While soybeans are relatively high in protein compared to other legumes, they are a poor source of protein because other proteins found in soybeans act as potent enzyme inhibitors. These "anti-nutrients" block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. Trypsin inhibitors are large, tightly folded proteins that are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking and can reduce protein digestion. Therefore, soy consumption may lead to chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake.8
Soy’s ability to interfere with enzymes and amino acids may have direct consequence for the brain. As White and his colleagues suggest, "isoflavones in tofu and other soyfoods might exert their influence through interference with tyrosine kinase-dependent mechanisms required for optimal hippocampal function, structure and plasticity."2
High amounts of protein tyrosine kinases are found in the hippocampus, a brain region involved with learning and memory. One of soy’s primary isoflavones, genistein, has been shown to inhibit tyrosine kinase in the hippocampus, where it blocked "long-term potentiation," a mechanism of memory formation.
Or what about this:
Phytoestrogens--Soy Self Defense
Tofu and other soybean foods contain isoflavones, three-ringed molecules bearing a structural resemblance to mammalian steroidal hormones. White and his fellow researchers speculate that soy’s estrogen-like compounds (phytoestrogens) might compete with the body’s natural estrogens for estrogen receptors in brain cells.
Plants have evolved many different strategies to protect themselves from predators. Some have thorns or spines, while others smell bad, taste bad, or poison animals that eat them. Some plants took a different route, using birth control as a way to counter the critters who were wont to munch.
Plants such as soy are making oral contraceptives to defend themselves, says Claude Hughes, Ph.D., a neuroendocrinologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. They evolved compounds that mimic natural estrogen. These phytoestrogens can interfere with the mammalian hormones involved in reproduction and growth--a strategy to reduce the number and size of predators.
And this little well known fact, often ignored: We produce hydrochloric acid! If we were herbivores we would not need to do so.
Side note; This entire year I have not even eaten meat. Yep. But this week I added bone broth and some bits of chicken and feel pretty good. I'll see how it goes. I am actually often pretty glad to be proven 'wrong' about things, it's great when you think about it, you get a little shake and the reminders, number one: don't hold too tight to your ideas and current theories, don't let them shape you, rather be prepared to learn more. Number two, there will always be more; more info, more research, more searching into what we have always known but lost. We move forwards so it's cool to keep embracing the new. If you feel mortally offended by some mere information then you must be holding on too tight to a theory. Don't you think?
And the magazine?
Well I still buy it, I guess I like the pictures :) And of course, I get to chew over things like this......
20 comments:
Hi Claire, interesting read, I havent reaad the protein article yet - no time! but its definitely interesting to read what you say. As a life-long vegetarian i couldnt eat meat myself, it would be impossible as I couldnt physically put it in my mouth! but have found myself lately wondering about trying to introduce fish to my childrens diet, its a massive issue for me and i keep coming back to the thought that obviously we were intended to eat some meat. It's still hard for me in terms of touching it etc also it would need to be sustainable and as local as possible (when you live in berkshire!lol) anyway rambling, but thanks for an interesting post :)
Lucy
forgot to add i always read the mother too but sometimes it does drive me slightly crazy with things which are stated as facts! but i still like it as it has some very good stuff in it and is often though provoking if nothing else :)
Provoking! Yes it's exactly that :) Although maybe the way it provokes is not intended as such....?
I think that raw milk products and eggs are enough in the way of animal proteins if that's what you ise. I wouldn't feel it necessary to use meat too if you didn't fancy it or felt it essential.
Ah TM. Part of me enjoys it.. another part of me finds its incredibly frustrating.
I think to change birth stories is actually very insulting - and creates this myth of what a natural birth should be like.. which leaves women who don't attain this "perfection" feeling cheated somehow.
As for the protien.. yup, I was laughing, I've done the Atkins diet and actually I felt marvlous on it, better than I ever remember feeling - the reason I stopped was because I couldn't afford the amount of meat required.. at least not from ethical sources.
I had gone veggie too, as these days I buy very little meat becuase it has to be organic, and preferably local, so it seemed a sensible step.. but I've started eating meat ocassionally again. I feel better eating a bit of meat now and again..a nd as I make it for my mindee, it seems daft to make 2 meals when I do a meat dish for her and Rye, when I don't have any phyical problems eating meat.
how did they change your story? what issue were you in? i would love to red your story.
aloha
laurel
ps i love the mother ...it fills me up, take your truth and let the other bits slip by
I've stopped reading it, and others like it, for the reasons you pinpoint. I am unsurprised yet pretty appalled that they changed your birth story.
We are (organic, free range, local, small amounts) meat eaters yet not, I think, evil people. We are probably green-lite although still counted as the village hippies (!), and if I had more time and energy I might start a middle-ground magazine as there is nothing in between the horrors of prima mother and baby and the insanity of the mother. (I used to like brain, child but it got a bit samey so I stopped my subscription.)
I think there's a big issue too with people who don't eat that 'log' of fat/protein from animal sources whether it be egg, fish, meat or what that then can only fill up on carbs, suffer sugar cravings and pile on weight. That's a whole other issue I know, but even my increasing fruit to cope with sugar cravings on a vegan diet made me put on weight. I am really interested in the mechanisms of frutose on the body, maybe I'll do a post about that next :)
glad you are replying on this one, thought I might have isolated myself some what criticising the Golden TMM :)
Lucy - I have just been watching last years' series of River Cottage on 4OD, they had an apprentice butcher who was a life long vegetarian, it was interesting to see her try meat :)
There was another recent article in TMM where I did honestly laugh out loud at the in accurate information. I was astonished. It was the chiropractor's article of Th1 and Th2 states within the body and it was unreal. When one bandy's around some terms that not many have heard of it sounds quite accurate but one only needs a bit more knowledge to feel incredulous at the 'facts' presented. I think the gist was that flu or colds happened when one was in an *unhealthy* Th2 state or something like that. Goodness knows I am not a cell biologist but I do know that one is primarily Th2 during pregnancy ,for example, and in the PP period can switch back to a more Th1 status. This is why some with auto immune conditions that have a TH1 dominantly unbalanced status feel much better when pregnant and suffer no relapses and then are worse after their babies are born. Were the TMM saying that being pregnant is unhealthy? :lol See? Just crazy. That is why I laughed. I was even about to write to them about it and then life happened and I forgot. Oh well.
Claire
I will check what issue my birth story is in and let you know. It was my dd's home birth after two c-sections. So of course it was perfect to me :) They edited out a section where I used gas and air - only for a short while - but still I used it and am totally GLAD. I'd do it again in a heart beat. It enhanced the situation as I was holding on to some fear and the short burst of gas and air totally relaxed me enough to let go of my fear. I went from 6 cm to fully dilated in an hour because of the few relaxing puffs and it was much more enjoyable an experience of birthing. This was left out of my printed story, I went from birthing pool to standing up in my bathroom where my dd was born without that bit being mentioned. The editor has the right to edit according to the ethos of the magazine. Apparently. And YET. I certainly did lots of waffling on about preconception and so on that could easily have been shortened should the word length been too long. See? Would you be mad? I felt let down and disappointed. And made to feel ashamed that I'd used the gas and air which until then (despite being a super earth mother type) I'd accepted as being something that liberated me at that moment. Strange and non natural as it was, it was still true and I felt happy about it utterly. So yeah, i felt let down. My actual full length birth story is here on my blog, under April (I think) 2008. My dd was born in Feb 2008 so it was several weeks later I posted it.
thanks for your comments :)
Oh! I do tend to leave the bits that don't interest me in the TMM but lately and since my birth story I have felt more than usually upset by it
MY God - if you ever start another magazine Lisa and want some articles I'd LOVE to contribute :)
Same here re TM....some good articles but some ridiculous ones and a generallly over prescriptive attitude. I still read it though, the good articles are worth it.
Claire,
Did you contact Veronika to find out why your birth story had been edited? I am so curious about this as both of my birth stories were published with refernece to me using gas and air and plenty of others have been published with this mentioned too...I'd be really interested to know why yours was edited.
I have lots I could write about the whole meat/ dairy issue but I think it's just easier to say that none of us really know the 'truth'. Mr Raw Food Guru will tell you that meat is bad, Mr Traditonal foods that it is great, and both have the science to prove it! Don't we just need to do what feels right for us and do it peacefully?
I used to worry because we can't afford all those *essential* superfoods, but now I don't worry. How do we really know that they are what they claimed to be anyway? So now we eat lots of raw, and avoid wheat and cane sugar completely because that is what works for us. If your diet is good and working well for you, you'll know because you'll feel good surely.
We don't eat any soya, but I also wanted to point out that, a far as I am aware, almost all of the of the soya grown for human consumption (like soya milk) is grown in Europe. The soya grown in ares that we once rainforest etc is destined to become cattle feed for the meat and dairy industry.
Gina xxx
Gina I agree about the super foods, they are probably superfluous :)
But wonder at the actual vitamins like K2 , A and D....lacking in a vegan diet. It can be expensive to support with those essentials in supplemental form.
There is no true herbivore on the planet if we were pernickity, cows eat insects on grasses. Southern Indians from India despite being vegetarians eat termites and grubs/eggs on their veg (when they move to the sanitised West with the same food practices they often become very deficient as our shop veg is so *clean*). It can take a decade or more to become truly deficient it seems. For kids, much quicker. Shazzies dd was iron deficient I think I remember reading and lacked K2. She changed her diet. When my kids show signs of tooth decay I know they are eating to much in the way of 'crops' food and not enough fat soluble vitamins A and D.
It's true tho, one can usually find the information to support and back up any point of view. I am aware of it. Statistics and research are always manipulated and set out to find exactly what they want to find. Doing what makes you feel good is of course what is best. I just like to read a fuller view than what is often presented in TMM, as much as I enjoy other articles in there.
As far as soy bean crops - where ever mono culture crops are grown it seems there is a huge loss of biodiversity and wildlife. Europe, UK, China, South America.... I don't think the earth can support crops. Full stop. The argument put forward to get rid of cattle farming and replace with crops is ludicrous. It would be replacing one evil with another (I DO NOT support intensive animal raising). Same for bio-fuel. Yes use reconditioned oil (from chip shops say) but goodness don't divert and change land to grow for fuel! Small scale farms with sheep to graze, chickens, small areas for minimal crops etc is the way to go, small scale, diverse farming practices. Animal manure is the BEST fertiliser for the land and veggies, huge scale fertilisers are used for ANY crops ordinarily and that hungry soil they create - there productions use huge carbon footprints. But they are hard to implement these small efforts. I see that.
I never contacted Veronica.
I don't know her and I felt like she would easily intimidate me :) Truth be told. I am sure she is nice and all, but some people have the gift of the gab and she stirkes me as one of them. I perhaps should have, or should still. I know she is a friend of yours :) Asd the editor she reserves the right to edit where she sees fit. I knew that when I sent her the story.
Claire
Claire, i might have to look up that river cottage! would be so weird for me,as I have never viewed it as food. My parents became veggie as they lived down the road from an abbatoire(sp?) and so brought up me and siblings meat-free.
You have made me re-think our diet a bit again! it was the tofu/kraft cheese thing ;) although tofu does contain some amino acids etc and other good stuff so not quite on the same level surely? I remember watching a programme a couple of years back about an island off Japan where the people all live a really long time and so they went and looked at their diet and it was almost all tofu, rice noodles, veg & fish & rice and they were incredibly heatlhy and living to over 100 - bit random and i am not as knowledgable on this, i know you read a lot about nutrition etc
Also a quick Q, when you said about using raw milk, i have found a good sounding supplier for raw cows milk and was thinknig about swapping our rice milk for it as obv using rice milk is awful really in terms of being imported etc but wonder what are your thoughts on cows milk? as opposed to sheep/goats etc.......thanks
As far as I know raw dairy full stop is more digestible than pasteurised. Goat more so than cow, but that would be something you'd just have to try out I think. We used that online ordering for raw cow dairy for a while (I blogged about fairly recently I am sure with a link) but Esmé had a rash on her arms. I don't know if it was the milk or something else, it's hard to know sometimes and I have forgotten to re order it but it was nice quality, the boys liked it.
the Weston price foundation has lots of varied info on raw milk and there is even a website called rawmilk.com i think. I am sure there'll be masses of info on it.
Fermented would be best. Like making your own yogurt with the raw milk, that would help digestion issues if there are any. Or using a kefir 'mother' culture to make soured tangy (almost fizzy' milk drink. My kids never liked that much but I did :)
I am hoping to get a couple of milch goats in the not too distant future and make cheese and yogurt and of course there will be the milk. I think with a goat of our own I may try dairy again myself.... nervous and excited both about it. Although do you know goat milk products are not actually classed as 'dairy'? Bizarre really. I guess they just are more tolerated (smaller fat molecules like human milk) than cow's, generally.
I can understand about the abattoir. My gawd. that'd put anyone off for life. The stench of blood and fear must have been sickening.
I don't have a TV but have had great pleasure watching last years episodes of River Cottage online. Hugh is a champion locavore and there's so much interesting info, we (the boys and I) watched one and were hooked! There's the setting up of a city smallholding, butchering your own animals, seasonal veg recipes etc etc. It certainly sparked my enthusiasm again for small holdering.
Claire, what a great post again. Lots of interesting information. I have never read TMM but was thinking of ordering a copy just to see what it was like.
Once you start reading more in depth about food and nutrition it becomes more tricky to know which way to go with food,(although in some ways much easier) I suppose we need different things at various stages in life. Recently I am reading Nourishing Traditions ( i think you may have mentioned this?) and it made me realise that this is the almost the exact diet that I was brought up on, my parents and grandparents, all very large familes, on both my mum and dads side, and looking back, so far, there haven't been any real illnesses (aches and pains of course), everyone are pretty 'robust' and seem to be living beyond 80 (i hardly dare writing this) so somewhere something must be right? Although i may have done some irreparable damamge in my 20's ; ) And I can't agree more with your previous post about Locavore, the more I read about food / health I think this is super important part of choosing what to eat. Hm..yes that small holding, seems like a terrific idea. I just have to move out of London first.
I have to say I gave up reading mags like this long ago. Being a scientist by education, I'm often horrified at the imbalanced - and often scaremongering - articles some mags publish. Sure, I think we should discuss this sort of stuff, but sometimes it strikes me that anything will be published as long as it fits in with the ethos of the magazine, no matter how incorrect or unbalanced. :(
Anyway, off my soapbox now.
Actually I would love to read a mag that was marketed towards the average-doing-their-best-but-often-making-a-mess-of-it-parent. Yep, I'd go out and buy it straight away!
I think the ultimate bottom line is that meat eaters or milk drinkers or egg eaters are demonised - it's black or white at TMM. There's no grey area of overlap. And simply being vegan does not mean one treads a lighter footstep or has less of a carbon footprint than a careful considered carnivore. That's I think what it comes to. Lots of vegans like Gina are indeed considered and ethical (I saw your blog honey and I can honestly say I have never seen a family living so lightly anywhere or ever). Lots are not. TMM advocates soy and that gets my goat, it's not a health food in the West as it is in the East, fermented and eaten alongside the foods it originates with.
Anyway, I am just going over old ground:) time I moved on to my next post - something light and fluffy and comforting. for me anyway. these posts get too hardcore for me :lol At heart I think I am more of a hanging out washing, knitting and gardening person than a sticking neck out and being bolshy person. Online tho who's to tell. Only the words count :)
I love the comments here, thanks so much for the comments, what ever camp, I am so glad I am not alone in my turmoil over food choices (ethical and nutritional).
Gina if you ever do eat or don't I'd LOVE to hear about your experiences. Add them to cakes I was thinking in bed this morning - how could anyone refuse cake? :lol mercola has some interesting articles about egg eating. How the protein structure of an egg is changed the more it is heated. He advocates eating raw egg, a pin prick of just from the hens' nest raw bouncy yolk. the next day a finger tip worth and so on until one can eat the yolk without thinking. I am nervy about doing this but might give it a go when our hens start laying properly rather than being broody and hatching as they are now. I'd only do it with my own hens eggs I think.... they are different even two days old, not as firm. The white has two layers when it is super fresh, one sitting atop of the other.
ramble ramble off I go again....
Another great post, Claire. I eat meat, but only when I know where it has come from and most of it is very local. I often wonder if I could have done better with my diet, would I be in the position I am now if I'd been veggie for example but the information is so varied that I go by what feels best/most ethical/local and keep my fingers crossed!! I have never subscribed to TM but have read a few back issues and it always leaves me feeling like a rubbish mother who has damaged her children (three of them were bottle fed when breast feeding went wrong and most of them have enjoyed dummies and of course I didn't even know about slings with my older children as we had no internet or GP mag or alternative shops around here then), this could be my insecurity of course and I respect those that enjoy reading it, but I've made too many parenting blunders it seems to feel comfortable reading it (you know when a great magazine feels like it's been written just for you? Well, TM is always somebody else's magazine that has reluctantly found it's way into my house, we both feel uncomfortable until we part company!!) It makes me wince when some well-meaning friend hands me a copy as I know it's only a matter of time before I'm dragged through the coals for not knowing back then what I've had to learn along the way and I have enough to worry about with my CURRENT parenting issues without beating myself up for the past ones!! Cup of tea and chocolate ..............
When I was growing up in a village in the 70s/80s our family had a policy of 'if we can't grow it or shoot it or swap something for it then we don't eat it'. Not through any health or ecological reasons, just having no money!
So we were brought up eating rabbit, pigeon, deer (venison), pheasant, eggs from our own chickens, plus home-grown, mostly organic fruit and 1veg from the garden or the hedgerow. Funny how most of these foods are now either considered luxury/health items.
I always find it bizarre that fruits such as blackcurrants, high in vitC and easy to grow in a British garden, have been replaced by more trendy 'super foods' which have few additional nutritional benefits and cost far more. The Health Food Industry is a powerful thing.
Hmm...looks like I'm back on my soapbox.
oh yeah, give me a blackcurrent any day over a goji berry:) Goji berries give me tummy aches. I'd love to eat more game rather than shop bought meat/fish.
Post a Comment