
There's something terribly naive or perhaps optimistic to imagine that one can simply decide they are 'vegan'. It's terrifically untrue that not consuming animal products means no life is lost. The myth of the vegan theory. I'd argue that in some instances being 'vegan' and meeting all nutritional needs means far more global destruction and harm than eating seasonally, locally and carnivorously.
I've read and can well believe half the world's wildlife has been estimated ultimately wiped out through soy and cotton farming. Eating (imported fermented soy) natto for essential vitamin K2 must surely be more destructive on a global level than eating the minute portions of fermented goat cheese that would otherwise ensure K2 needs are met. And Tofu? Who ever imagined tofu as a healthful food? Goodness. It's a vegan Kraft cheese slice. I truly think, the more I tinker with my diet and research, that eating what's here in my own true land, with a bit of effort, ALL nutritional needs can be met. Hungry? Head to the seashore closest to you. Despite scare stories about pollution, Britain's beaches are some of the most maintained in Europe. Edible flowering plants, seaweeds, mollusc's, crustaceans - and not even a fishing line in view and a whole meal with every vitamin and mineral one could desire all in. My dh once accused me after one of my long winded rants about the individual and global benefits of eating locally - of being one of the few 'rich' people able to try to do so. I knew exactly what he meant, and I know our little Island can support only 5 million or so people. With a population busting over 55 million it's hard to see how mass importing, intensive farming and GM foods can be avoided. BUT. These bare little harsh facts take account only our island's attempts to feed us through the counted 'farms' (animal, grain, vegetable). No one has estimated what might be possible if we forage and eat the free foods right there staring us in the face every single day if we open our eyes and learn how to look. How much can we consume of our seashores and woods and hedgerows without depleting natural resources? That I'd like to know. Nettles and brambles I imagine might makes everyone on earth a meal or two every year (if my little garden is enough to go on, and I was inclined and thrifty, I could probably managed to feed all five of us for half the year on just those with a few of our eggs thrown in).
The simple truth is that the true-blue vegan is really no such thing. (I have been one so I can talk). Animals still die, whatever food choices you make. A true vegan couldn't meet their full nutritional needs at all living in this country. Heavy supplementation and imported goods are a must. Anything else is a cobbled attempt and cracks will eventually turn to gaping nutritional holes. Cup of coffee? Each cup equals a dead songbird. Most vegans I know are weighed in moral and ethical dilemmas about their food choices. Meaning they too care as deeply as I do about the environment and animal health and welfare. But the huge flaw in their attempts is that they can't meet their needs locally. That to me is point proven. Every population and culture have always instinctively managed to meet needs with what they have, from fermented alpine butter, seal blubber, wild boar and coconut to fish heads stuffed with wild soaked oats. I'd rather gnaw at my free range locally reared pig's trotter than eat processed imported soy any day of the week. Eating flesh can be a considered choice, as much as any other. The animal can be your own, raised with care, or a local one you can trace and view and get to know. We have ice age physiologies and ice age woman certainly ate a bit of flesh.

Learning to recognise wild plants as foods is such a learned skill that hardly any of us know how to do it. I feel it's more important to know this (and show my kids) than it is to know the in's and outs' of trigonometry or grammar. More than any other time it seems it is now that we need to start learning about our coasts and woods (squirrel sandwich anyone?) and what they have to offer. Growing our own food. Asking local farmers if they have a bit to spare you could use or rent. Check out the river cottage Landshare attempt for this in your local area. Every medieval peasant had a veg garden a pig or two and a clutch of hens. Now it's a sign of luxury. A little weaned pig costs £35, hatching eggs and the hire of an incubated a couple of pounds. Field costs to rent can be as little as £50 a YEAR! It's true.

I can't truly practice what I preach all of the time. I am wondering at my use of superfoods, and questioning the cacao butter on my shelf. Do I really need this? can my need for this fat be met in another more local way? I am working towards it. It's in my mind's eye when I make food choices, future plans. But I have supplemental mangosteen, MSM, virgin coconut oil in my kitchen. It's tricky to think about replacing them when I am now so accustomed to them. The normal things I enjoy are warped things, not designed for me to eat (I see things I *should* eat as things I can physically get to). The abnormal is the true 'norm' and so it's a striving effort. But it can be done. I am as positive about it as I am about my own health being restored/remade. If I can direct my body towards self healing it's one step closer to healing the world (and vice versa). I see myself and essence in the pods of peas in my garden, the flowing stream, the chickens I will raise to eat. I give thanks to their lives, given, to assist mine. Vegetable, animal, mineral. Namaste. Living takes life. I celebrate that pure circular fact. It's liberating. I love you dear chick, you will have a lovely wild life and one day if you prove to be male, we will celebrate, trill our voices and watch your blood drip. Not gruesome. With reverence and soul felt thanks. The exchange not in a shop, not with silver in hand but right here already part of our lives. You will be cooked, stripped of meat for many meals your bones and skin will make a stock, we will have a week of food from you. Not a bit will be wasted and that will be our true hands together bowing down of thanks. The air I breathe is the same you do to. It's the link between every living being on earth. The connected threads start at home. I like to loftily think I am free from labels (don't we all). I'm not a vegan or vegetarian nor I am I vicious unthinking carnivore. I am all and none. Locavore, aspiring. Now, that? What a label! I'd gladly wear that badge.
12 comments:
fantastic post...! you have just put words to a million thoughts that have been tumbling around my head lately as I travel farther and farther down this path of traditional foods!
thanks!
yes! Yes! Yes! One of my first interactions with a vegan friend taught me a very similar lesson. I'd undergone weeks of harrassing emails about how great veganism is. How kind it is to the planet. How healthy it is. I then went over for dinner.
I was shocked at the sheer amount of soy and petrochemicals in her food. She had all the same things in her cupboard that I had, but it was all 'fake' and full of rubbish.
This was in america, where there is very little, if any, non-GM soy available. Having grown up around soy farms, I know exactly the carnage they cause. In fact, my aunt has had a series of cancers relating back to getting sprayed with pesticides on a soy farm.
When I questioned her about it, the argument just kept going back to how factory farms are so bad...of course they are, but I couldn't help but feeling like she was missing a big fat point.
And LOL about tofu being kraft cheese...it so is!! I do love my vegan cookbook, but I kind of want to shake the authors and tell them that soy can be quite nasty stuff and is NOT the be all end all.
anyway, rant over. Off to tuck into some eggs and local bacon for dinner. Lets face it, I have no hope of ever being vegan as I am married to a South African.
Here here! Amazingly truthful post Claire. I've never quite 'got' Veganism for a few reasons but I think the fact that vegans have to rely on food stuffs from all round the globe has been the most puzzling for me, especially since a lot of Vegans are supposedly 'environmentally aware'.
Yep, Locavores we should certainly be ;-)
Brilliant post, so true
I agree Claire! Great post, well put X
Very well said - I can never understand Vegans arguments either!!
I agree with lots of your post. We too would love to be locavores!
I suppose we are 'vegan' although I don't like any lables anymore, We don't eat meat or dairy or buy new leather. Neither do we eat any soya, tofu, processed vegan junk foods. We don't buy tinned food, all of our veggies come from less than a mile down the road. Fruit we try to buy local, but not all of it obviously. (Local banaas I think not!)
For me, there is no logical argument for drinking the breast milk of another species, especially when this involves seperating the mother and baby to do so. We make nut mylks often, but don't rely on any form of milk at all.
We only eat 'Food' not food like substances, and we do this without eating meat or dairy and have done so for the last 13 years, Our whole family is extremely healthy and it works for us. I suppose I just wanted to point out that not all vegans eat processed junk food!
Gina xxx
love this post, thanks. I am not vegetarian or vegan but would love to cut back on our meat intake. I love the idea of only eating what you raise but I have fallen down on that one as I fall in love with the animals :-( I have now realised the best way forward for us is to buy local meat where I have seen where the animal has been raised.
Gina, I did think about you and from your (old) blog couldn't think where I had once seen you mention eating things like tofu :) Is it ok to ask you - do you supplement your kids and self heavily? What do you do about K2, A and D? Just very interested not critical or nosy, I hope you don't think so, I just always like to learn from others experiences.
Claire
PS) Miss your blog btw.
Hi Claire,
We don't supplement at all and never have. We just eat what feels right. We have eaten thisw ay for thirteen years and the chidlren have since birth. I worry sometimes when I read so much conflicting advice, but I know that we feel good! None of us get ill, we're not even registered with a doctor as we don't ever need one. Ash hasn't even had a cold in the all years we've been together!
I know deficiencies are not immediately obvious but we have eaten this way for a long time and during my first pregnancy, the only time I had a blood test, my levels of iron etc were really high and surprised the midwife. We are all so physically fit and healthy, we walk so much. WhenI worry about not being able to afford supefoods, I ask myself how I feel and look. We do all have really clear skin (I haven't worn make up in years and years!), shiny hair and strong teeth and nails, this must count for something. I feel sure our diet is working for us.
We eat seaweeds, rosehips, aloe vera juice, raw fruit, nuts, dried fruit, raw and some cooked vegetables and drink three litres of water or so a day. We also forage for lots of wild greens.
Having read a lot about k2 recnetly we are considering adding eggs to our diets from a friends organic hens, but I want to research this a bit more first.
In Joy
Gina xxx
Please excuse typos as I'm not supposed to use computer during the day and I'm rushing!!
Also wanted to add, that we do eat spelt flour for home made bread and a small amonut of grains and lentils. We have a daily dose of raw omega 3, 6 &9 blend of oils too, so you could call that a supplement but I see it as a food as we use in place of olive oil in dressings etc :)
Post a Comment