Monday, July 26, 2010

skin food ~ oil me, she says

The nettle and comfrey leaves have been squeezed and decanted after their month of infusing, the extra made into an ointment with beeswax pellets added. Note: stirring the ointment with a chopstick briskly just as it is setting creates a fluffier smoother balm.



Calendula oil in stages, not quite sun infused. At this rate it'll have to be simply 'light' infused as the sun is AWOL. One of my most favourite of all the scented flowers (bar sweet peas, divinity itself) the sticky sweet delicate fruitiness of calendula is hard to beat in a baby oil. I have used it on all of my kids, I wonder if they will associate this smell later with the baby massages they all loved (and still love). For The Beauty it's her assumed right to be massaged. She spreads out a towel and demands 'right now Claire, oil me'. I can hardly refuse such a gracious request and am her devoted servant, plying her with unguents and gentle caresses until she melts like a seal pup under my hands.









The resident squirrel recently became road kill (I didn't eat him, wouldn't know where to begin quite honestly, although it certainly is high priority on my do-to list to learn such skills, in the event he was far too squished). Another hasn't skirted into his patch so for once the hazel nuts are still clinging to the trees. Maybe I'll get to harvest some this year. I read that they are best picked when the tree's leaves start to yellow but I wonder if there will be any left by then....



Our neighbour always sells fresh walnuts at the road side and beneath the actual tree. Very sublime. I recently found my very own isolated walnut tree. But had no idea what they actually were. Hard green lime shaped fruits, marshmallow, sweetness..? But my trusty book soon pointed the way to walnuts. And the dark brown staining on my fingers after much ohhing and ahhing and chasing of the lovely smell forced me to pry open the skin give the game away. So, come autumn, fingers crossed, I may have a few nuts to pick.



Saw this wonderful cream recipe here and *had* to try it for the simple alchemy of the (addictive and exciting) emulsification process (I have so far made three batches and am still excited by it). A serious one minute whizz with a whisk and the cool clear aloe gel and oil becomes a whippy cream delight. I have not used creams in over five years, they all make me skin burn, straight oils are my choice but this has converted me. Utterly delicious scent, gentle gentle gentle. Would be great as an after sun lotion, shaving balm, or for any sort of irritated or sore skin I think.

3 comments:

Pippa said...

Those home-made skin treatments look wonderful! Reminds me that tonight I wanted to make a face scrub to give me that nice, shiny, youthful look!

We had a walnut tree when we were little. Sadly it only began producing walnuts the year my parents moved house, but I always thought the smell of the leaves was wonderful. I'm not a big fan of walnuts, I just love sniffing the leaves!

Earthenwitch said...

I read that cream recipe too and am definitely going to give it a try, all the more after that recommendation!

Gorgeous calendula - we are in the midst of fixing and landscaping our broken garden, and are just beginning to plan what we'll grow next year; calendula is most definitely on the list.

Elisabeth said...

Very timely post as i have got some calendula oil infusing on the windowsill and will soon make some balm for the baby girl. My first ointment. Have you got a favourite place to get your supplies from, oils etc..?