
Wild Garlic Pesto is my new favourite food. It is so seriously yummy. This recipe is dairy and gluten free (FYI) and stolen from the book Seaweed And Eat It. A very inspired read for all of your foraging adventures.

Wild Garlic Pesto
2 large handfuls of wild garlic leaves
4oz of almonds, walnuts or pine kernels
juice of a lemon
sea salt
olive oil
~ Blitz the wild garlic leaves and nuts in the food processor with a glug of the olive oil.
~ Add the juice of a lemon and some sea salt and some more olive oil, blitz again. ~ You want it still course-ish, not super smooth.
~ Add more oil/salt/lemon to taste.
Will keep forever if you have a layer of oil covering the top (in the fridge). Well, sort of forever, although I seriously doubt it, it tastes so good! I took it to work today (delicatessen) and was eating some and a customer tried a bit and wanted to buy it. So there. It's great.
As soon as I have finished here I am off out to pick more, to make more. Everywhere I look around my house is carpeted in garlic leaves. It's like I live inside a garlic bulb, that's green and glowing. It's seriously nice. If you like garlic. If you didn't and lived here you might have to move.

I made Wild garlic soup last night, and garlic butter for the kid's garlic bread, but nothing was so good as this pesto. Oh wow. I am planning on spreading it over some fish to bake, eating it with some seed crackers, a dip for carrots, blended with more oil for a salad dressing...... maybe I should just go ahead and make a cake with it too, or cookies or something so I can have it with every bit of my meal... just kidding. This morning The Man came down all bleary eyed and I was eating it for breakfast, dipping my hard boiled egg into it. Want some? I asked (secretly hoping not because it was yum). He didn't even reply, just sort of acted like I was trying to poison him. But laughed, at the absurdity of my food passions (as they come and go). Right now, this is SO in season, for real, outdoors and also for me and my mouth :)
The wheat grass is coming through in the old wheelbarrow, hopefully we'll have some grains for the chickens to snack on in a few months.

Am sorting out new composters from pallets, it's quite heavy work (for me) but I'll cope. I wouldn't mind at all except for these horrid little tiny black beasties that get inside clothing and literally try and bite you to death, they really hurt and leave welts. No idea what they are but they are vicious, and only in the compost. I think I'll hand over this job so graciously to The Man.

Little Beauty would play all day under her tree next to the sand pit. She gets so absorbed with containers and sand and bits of twigs. This is the sort of play I love to watch best as I go about my own thing, it's so involved and yet looks so peaceful too.

Said girl and I put up our little Easter Tree: some budding branches and decorated them with our eggs and bits.

Also pretty yummy; I came home to find these pretty shoes for my dear daughter, handmade in Poland and 'specially ordered for her sweet little feet. 'Gusting and horrible' she said and has not worn them. Ha. Should have saved the money and bought myself a pair. they are so cute. How come she doesn't like them? I told her B, her favourite girl person loves and wears them too (lie, small ones like this are certainly allowed). She just narrowed her eyes and looked away, declaring her intentions by putting on her snow boots. Snowboots! In such glorious sun it's like summer came early! What a jib. I'm just gonna try and squeeze my feet into them. Then she'll want them.

Something else equal in loveliness, no! more so! was my wool from the lovely Sarah. This is a parcel seriously wanted by it's recipient! So pretty and perfect for some serious Spring time knitting. Feeling very inspired now to get my needles clicking. Thank you Sarah! You are a dye-Goddess!
10 comments:
Ha! indeed about the shoes. I was seriously considering getting N a pair (if they last for 3 kids, that's cheap, right?) but perhaps now I will show her some photos first :D
Well today she has had them on, so there may be hope yet :) Although I wish I had bought the bigger size!
I actually sold the first little black pair Esmé had when she was one-ish, they were still in good condition, then the pair Felix had are in the cupboard waiting for Esmé to grow inot them. They are good value, and do seem to last....
Wow - that wild garlic pesto looks and sounds fabulous - really wish we had some around so I could make some..... Don't think there'll still be wild garlic around mid-June?
And the colours of the yarn are really beautiful - do you know what dye Sarah used? xx
*bows* :) Glad you totally love the wool!
We used acid dyes for those three colours, mixing our own dyes from powder (Kemtex, for their fantastic customer services). :)
Ha! Esme reminds me so much of Emma every time you write about her. Our two girls are like peas in a pod. I think sometimes its sad we live so far apart, but at the same time, the two of them joining forces is kind of scary lol. Emma used to think pretty much everything was 'scustin, she still does actually, if Ive had anything to do with choosing it. Love love xxx
Mardi!
Oh wow! I love that you have commented, I miss hearing from you SO MUCH!!! I think of you so often, like justa few days ago I planted some garlic and thought I wonder how Mardi's garlic came along (remember when you bought a whole load to plant out? Did you get to eat it or did you move?). I wonder about you and such random things :lol Like I was just thinking too how I wanted to make one of those table top cloth play houses like yours... Would love to hear how you are doing and your beautiful kids :)
And yeah, Esmé is such a 'handful' or two. She totally wrecks her dad, she nips and pinches him, laughs runs away comes back, tells *him* to go away, tells him she doesn't love him, stuff like that. Then will be all sweet 'daddy can I have some water please?' She makes us laugh and all but she is FULL ON. And sort of disrespectful, and demanding... Hmmmm, she *is* sweet though. It's hard work, but she keep me on my toes, for sure.
So much love from me! Lets catch up at COS soon xoxoxox
And the shoes! Ha. Again. I decided to send them back (for one size up, these fit and all, but only just) and so I had them in the box all ready and what do I find, she has them on outside, in the mud. No chance of sending them back now. I felt so annoyed! (With myself, that is, I should have put them out of her line of vision) But I suppose they are truly 'hers' now :) Maybe once they are muddied up she'll love them (and I won't). Hopefull the leather is pretty soft and pliant so they should fit for a few months (please don't grow little feet!)
love the shoes. G is needing a first pair to go outside in. I made the mistake of going into Clarks when heavily pregnant and being told in no uncertaiin terms that she was walking so she HAD TO HAVE super hard clunky WALKING shoes...not the comfy rubber soled ones for cruisers. As I wasn't too thrilled with my baby walking with bricks attached to her feet, we left in a huff.
After padraig cottage type and soft leather shoes these were Esmes first pair of proper shoe, they were great and had I kept them I'd pass them on to you but she outgrew them so quickly i sold them :) She is wearing these now and they lovely! Everywhere we go too people keep stopping us to ask about them, which I am sure will start getting boring but right now it's helping her like them more :)
Thanks for the recipe, will be trying that later, the woods are carpeted with the delicious stuff at the moment x
Post a Comment