Thursday, April 21, 2011

hair, mine and sheep's



We are having an early summer, the weather man said it was 27 degrees here today. So oddly enough I did some knitting. There is something very strange about holding merino wool in your hands while wearing a vest, being barefoot and lolloping in the sun. The hair of another animal, felt in such in heat is vulgar and pointless even. But all the same, I like to knit. So one must follow ones inclinations. I let my self lead myself, if you see what I mean. Perhaps it was the heat befuddling my eyes and causing carelessness but these Kanoko Pants are not symmetrical. All pants ought to be symmetrical so these are big dud's. Plus the legs are different lengths. Not a success that satisfies my perfectionist tendencies. Still if you pull and hitch they work out looking just fine. I am sure a baby some where (colder) in the big wide world might like these. Let me know, baby between 0 and 6 months of age, and I'll send you them.





From sheep yarn to my own rug like hair. Sorry the picture is ridiculous, you'd think I could get someone over knee height to take some photos of me but apparently it's not to be. I suppose I could have *asked* someone but the thought makes me feel so self conscious I'd have to then look away from the camera in squeamishness, so a rather pointless request to make of someone. It feels like walking along the same street with Esmé; she'll turn around and scream at us all to 'stop following her!' Um, ok, crazy person, we'll all go down some other street instead and leave you to it...... I think we are too similar in silly ways for words. So I had to take my own photo (very quickly, because even that makes me feel ridiculous), and all because I am contemplating cutting my hair off and wanted some advice and opinions?



Should I? Or not? And what should I do with it...style wise? Who knows, really, I braid into a fat plait down my back or wear it loose and that's about it. If you can think of any styles that don't, um, actually need styling or maintenance and that look good on people with fire-coloured hair lemme know. Or I guess it stays the same.... part of me thinks, well, it's so long now I might as well do the whole Rapunzel thing and just leave it be, let it go (grow?) where it wants.



From vanity to comfort - Girl and I dyed eggs. We had a whole multitude of colours to choose from but it was insisted upon by some that red was the only way to go. I borrowed this idea from The Artful Parent; crayon drawing over dry blown eggs and then dipping them in dye. They look hastily scribbled on (and were) and I think they are beautiful. But then mothers are apt to think so about their kids craftiness so I am biased.









Not much else to report, garden blooming and veg thriving, spent many happy hours digging and transplanting tender seedling and weeding some more. Today was spent cartwheeling high up on a hill and dandling hot feet in a mountain stream. Blissful.

13 comments:

Joxy34 said...

I love long hair, so I'm afraid I'm biased in saying I think your hair is gorgeous and I personally wouldn't cut it off.

Unknown said...

You have a glorious mane of gorgeous red hair.

If you're crazed by the heat and weight of all that hair laying on your neck and down your back to the point that you're physically miserable, get it cut.

Otherwise, keep it long and enjoy it, because it's magical.

Heather said...

Claire - I got really bored with my hair, but wanted to keep it long , so I got it layered. I don't do anything to style it at all, but I like the look of it a lot better now. I can put it up it needed, as the layers are long enough - I just a have a couple of wisps on the sides that fall out. Might be a fun change, without being drastic.

sherene said...

My hair is as long as yours, so I might not be the one to ask- but I like it long. You look very different than your short hair photo, which feels most you?

Katie said...

I'm another long hair.. but I really support doing what you want - it's your hair! I usually throw mine up in a bun.

If you do cut it, I'd suggest either leaving it long enough to pull back, or short enough that you don't need to.

Emanation said...

I love your hair - don't cut it and I'll teach you how to twist it into a knot that you can secure with a small knitting needle : )

Claire said...

Needles I certainly have an excess of :) Claire x

Anonymous said...

i'm echoing everyone else here. another long-haired fan, i swore i'd never cut mine and so far have lived up to it to a certain extent. i'm also a big fan of the twist up knot.

and the thought of having to actually do SOMETHING with my hair each day, scares me way too much.

it's beautiful Claire, but only you can decide.

good luck!!

Claire said...

went out last night and had so many comliments on my hair! It was unreal, kind of like a sign not to cut it off! :lol It made me laugh anyway :) had a tiny trim instead and am going to grow my fringe out...... that feel enough :)

Claire

Jacqui said...

Gosh it is long! Very lovely too - the same colour as dd2 in fact. I always all my life had long hair. If I ever fell for a fashion cut - shaggy perm in the 70s, Dynasty style big hair in the 80s lol, I very soon reverted to my middle shed long hair sometimes with fringe. Then last year, about this time I had an urge to get it cut really short. The first hairdresser was reluctant to go for the pixie cut I asked for, and did a short bob, but a few days later I snuck into another salon and they finished the job. I really really liked it, but I missed my face, so now it is heading back to my shoulders.
I think you would look great with a short crop - what they call gamine in those hairdressing mags. You can always grow it back. Once I got the short hair thing out my system I felt much better. It was lovely and freeing fir the summer, and was long enough by winter to keep my neck warm. I think I have a blog post with photo somewher and then on the post with baby Erin, you can see the length it is now.
xxx

Jess said...

Your hair is lovely and I can understand why you would keep it, having had compliments just when you were thinking of cutting it!
However I agree that you would look gorgeous with a pixie crop style - you have very pretty delicate features and that sort of style would really play them up I think.
However I'm a bit late with that opinion, clearly ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire. For goodness sake don't touch the hair! Mine was almost as long as that until the beginning of this year and then one morning I stepped out of the shower, tied it up in a bobble and just hacked it all off. Don't know what posessed me and I want it to grow so badly now. My hair is the same colour too. I often (when long) wear mine up or if I'm feeling youthful I wear it in two plaits. If I have time I sometimes put a couple of small plaits down one side but DH moans and says I look like a hippy.(he doesn't know me very well Lol)
Anway, I think your long lushious locks are beautiful. Very pre-raphaelite.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Your hair is lovely - keep it long. If you do not like it short it will take forever to grow it again. There are lots of aids you can buy to put in long hair giving many different styles. A simple pony tail of glossy hair is gorgeous - remember Bridget Bardot........Rosemary