
I hope The Beauty doesn't see red. When she looks at her hair. So far she seems to like it. Why wouldn't she? I don't quite remember when I started hating the colour of my hair. Honestly, I was passionate enough about the hate to really 'hate' it. It must have been when I was singled out and laughed at.
I think it's a uniquely British thing because other people I speak to in other places are surprised when I tell then the derision and loathing and 'ugliness' of having red hair in this country. Where does it come from I wonder? I have been told more times than I could ever ever remember, that when I am mad, it must be because I have red hair. Right. Because there could *never* be any other valid reason for anger. I have stopped finding it absurd that people associate my every emotion to my having red hair. What? Could it be any other way? I remember when as a newborn Isaac cried, the midwives laughed, 'oh-ho! Look at him! It's his hair! ha, ha. Ha.' He doesn't even have red hair! Oh no! Not properly, not like me, believe me when I say there are shades of difference which matter a lot when it comes to the degree of redness and how it can be interpreted along the line of ugliness. As a child I have been GLAD when a fat kid showed up, or someone with glasses, or someone with red AND frizzy hair came along. I could sigh in relief because I wouldn't be singled out. There was someone worse. Phew! The shame. In it all. The shame I felt in having red hair to start with which I didn't have any say in (and couldn't ever really talk about to anyone because it was, well, so shameful, and wrong, for every reason. Who when being bullied wants to admit to it, to actually say, yes there is something so wrong with me that I feel so terrible about myself, that others see it too and comment upon it in the cruelest of ways). The shame I felt in being glad when someone worse in the scale of bully potential came along.

I am happy to say I don't care now. Yes, after three decades on this earth I actually don't mind my hair. I think it's only in the last five years or so I have made peace with it. Accepted it, and befriended it even. I had stages of dying it blond, brown once even (yuck, it was so yuck, I looked like a ghost).
The Man likes it alot. He is allowed to comment, wryly, slyly, when I am glowering at him for something or 'seeing red' that I get so mad only because of my hair. It makes me smile. I am the Goddess with red hair who can hold her anger and who's wrath is pure red. The one who simultaneously changes to glow, orange, the comforting womb. I am both sides of the same whole, like everyone. It's not my hair, but if my power as a female is attributed to it, then so be it. I will accept, finally, graciously and learn to love it. From anyone else I wouldn't take it like I do from him. When you let someone love you sometimes it becomes easier to love yourself too.
I always had the adults around me, my whole life ohhing and ahhing over it and I always wanted to tell them to just shut up - what did they know? Really? Those brown haired, easily blending in people! I was always the one in flame, always picked from the crowd, always singled out, no matter how much I looked away. Beautiful was NOT my hair! Now it's still adults who comment, and actually I take the compliments and am glad of them. I have found out some things about red haired people along my journey. They have soft skin. It's true! They need more anesthetic because they feel pain more acutely (bizarre but seemingly true, I can vouch for that from the dentist chair). I am sure there are other weird things, who knows if coincidental or not.

I feel overly protective of my daughter's red hair and her feelings towards it. She is only 3, so she probably isn't even aware that she has hair or what it is or can mean. She likes to comment that she wants hers loooong, like mine. And that is about it. I think mainly though, its me, who will be her guide. Maybe if she sees me loving mine she will find it easier to do so too. Hers is wispy and fine and looks like gold on her pillow. I think it's beautiful. Is this what people meant when they said mine was? Am I seeing through my rose coloured Mama-Specs? either way, seeing red has never been so sweet.
9 comments:
I think a lot of the comments about red hair come from jealousy. I think red hair is truly beautiful, the way the sun catches it and makes it kind of glow and you just can't capture that in any hair dye. And freckles which seem to go hand in hand with red hair, I love them and always wanted freckles. Since having babies and my skin having got more sensitive, I have, finally, managed to get a few freckles when the sun shines!!
I think you're right, if you celebrate your hair, feel proud that it's not everyone in the street that shares that gorgeous colour, your little girl will grow up loving hers too. xxxxx
You all have the most glorious red hair. It is difficult for me to describe the colour - fox like, autumn bracken or just plain glorious. I am sure that your daughter will grow up being proud of it. It certainly makes a difference from off-blonde!
Here in Minnesota in the US, we don't have that belief at all. I was always told, 'Be happy you got your grandma's red hair.'My husband has admitted that he 'wanted a redhead.'
The only downside is sunburn and the heightened pain element. I admire all your outdoor activities, but you never write about getting sunburnt. Maybe it's cloudier where you are?
My son is 7 and has real flame/carrot colour hair. And he is still proud of it and thinks it is pretty. So I hope your little one will too. I am so jealous of his red hair! I think it is just the most bewitching and magical colour of hair to have - I was born with red hair but then it went away :o(
I also have very, very red hair, and I always hated that I could never get away with anything. I was always noticed and remembered when I just wanted to blend in. Today, I love it and can't imagine myself without it.
It never occured to anyone to tease me about it (in New York City) until recently. None of my kids have red hair and every time we go out as a family people comment (or check to see if I have dark roots!)
I think your whole family has gorgeous hair. You are lucky!
Great post, I have three red haired boys, all different beautiful shades of red and they all love there hair at the moment although there have been times mainly when they were at school when my oldest wished for black hair and he had just started to get ginger comments when he left (not related!)
So true what you say about the different shades of red as I have had people say 'yes but there hair is lovely... its not really bright ginger' as if that would be awful!? we get stopped by old ladies mainly to say what lovely hair they have :) I love it, it makes them seem even more special...
My cousin has bright red curly crazy hair, and always wanted straight brown hair. I have straight brown hair and always wanted red curls. I never managed to blend in as a child anyway, so I got used to LIKING to stand out. ;)
My cousin, as a young adult, loves her red hair now - but I still occasionally dye mine with bright henna. (I was delighted to find, though, that I do have a natural wave to it when I don't use shampoo!)
A few years ago I was on holiday with some friends, and we were walking back to our hotel past the beach. There were lots of children playing about, and there was one little girl, maybe five or six years old, with the most beautiful red hair. It was long, wavy, and extremely rich red.
I have to say that of all my friends and myself, at that moment we all wanted to be that child with the red hair. It was beyond beautiful, and she looked so free.
I think we all had a go with some henna in the weeks that followed too!!
My mother was ginger, and I'm really proud of the way when the sun shines on my head you can see quite a ginger aura about me! My husband teases me - I pretend to care but really I'm very pleased!!
wow, what nice comments about red hair :)
leaves and blossom, love you spinning! Just been for a look! I used to have a wheel but had to give it back to the guild when I moved, would like another, I was *just* getting the hang of it, feel like I would have to re-learn. Such a nice thing to do though. I always had this little dream I would have do the whole thing from having sheep, shearing, carding spinning, dyeing maybe too and knitting. I think that whole full process must be so satisfying to see thorugh. I have done all the bits (bar shearing) but not as a whole.
My ds saw the pics of your lambs with collars and got all excited, like lets have pet lambs rather than a dog!
Post a Comment