Thursday, October 20, 2011

a cookie, that tastes like caramac

I have to say though, it's been more than a decade since I ate a Caramac bar, so what do I know, I mean do they even make them still? What is in them? No idea, really. But these cookies (and very much the dough pre-cooking) oh my gawd, they taste like a Caramac (to my junk food deprived mouth, bear in mind). I have no idea why, especially since I am pretty sure the makers of the Caramac bar didn't use ground arrowroot, buckwheat or almonds....



I might forget this recipe so I am writing it down now so as not to.

caramac - almond cookies

1 cup of ground arrowroot
1 cup of ground almonds
1/2 cup of maple syrup
3/4 cup of buckwheaties*
1/2 stick of goat butter
dash of vanilla extract

~ Melt the butter, add everything else, it should be dough like. Taste it! - does it taste like a Caramac bar to you? :) On a greased tray spoon out and flatten into rounds. Bake on medium heat for about 10-15 mins. The edges should be just turning golden. They still sort of taste carmac-y when baked, but not as much so as dough-raw, more vanilla-almondy.

* buckwheaties - I make these each week by soaking overnight the buckwheat grain, then draining and rinsing and allowing them another day or so to sprout. Then I dehydrate them in the bottom of my Aga with the door ajar - overnight. You can buy buckwheaties, with this process complete at a few places online, like raw living (but at about triple the price you'd pay for the buckwheat raw). If it all sounds like a crazy big deal you can't be bothered with then use some sort of chopped nut instead. Walnut might be good. Or partly crushed up almonds.

4 comments:

charlotte said...

MMmm I'l have to make these, I was a real fan of Caramac, I would hide in our airing cuboard and pull off the cover and melt my weird choc, then wipe it off and eat it!! oh I forgot to say, that it was when I was young, not today!! lol x x x

Claire said...

yeeew, that sounds yucky but yummy :lol I probably wouldn't even like one if I actually ate a bar now but it's the remembering of a taste that's quite a good thing to feel :)

Rose said...

I used to LOVE caramac bars as a child - my mum would buy one for me to nibble on just before ballet class but I tried one not so long ago (yes they do still make them!) and it wasn't quite as yummy as I remembered it but your cookies sound marvelous I will try them :) X

Angel wings and Herb tea said...

Oh my goodness caramac, from Tom's post office in Llandogo..so many years ago, I'd forgotten all about them! I'm a big fan of buckwheaties, our second favourite breakfast, will definitely try this recipe