
Three Little Coffee Bean sweaters, in three different sizes, colour and stripe were knitted in the brief time of my too-short last pregnancy. But not *just* three Little Coffee Beans (which were btw fabulous to knit, my very favourite sweater ever now, hands down beats the Classic Cardigan by Debbie Bliss. Sorry Debbie).

I seemed to have knitted all out of proportion to the length of that pregnancy, and it might have had something to do with the notion I had in mind of knitting an entire wardrobe from 0 to 12 months. Uh-huh. I look at this big pile of woolly garments and am astonished I did so much. In so little time. It's nice. I don't feel weird about it all, although I can see how one could very easily tilt that way. The way I see it, I relished the beautiful yarns sliding through my fngers. I loved every inch of their making. But you know what? I feel like shrugging. Sure there is no baby to wear them now. And it makes me sad that it is so. But one day there might be. And if not mine then I am certainly stocked with baby gifts for quite a while.

I am sad, but not excessively so. Because for whatever reasons my body did it's thing. In it's wisdom it was wise. If I listen I can see life does what it does, reasons are not to be queried endlessly. Because you could grieve forever that way. And still be right in the same place when you had finished doing so.
And so I will make soup today, and concentrate on today only. I might see if The Girl fancies making gingerbread. We will walk the dog (in the rain). I will try and finish the girl's mittens. I will think of today, and maybe tomorrow and not ask to much of the reasons for things being so. It's about as happy as a person can be. In fact it's how I get to be my happiest.


What a pile though! I might be in with some record breaking in the striped department. Um, I guess I really love stripes! And multi colour yarn. And knitting for babies. That I do. I really do.

Love to the mama's today and the babies, and the ones who didn't make it. Now and then. And to the gap in between which we all sometimes find ourselves living in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited to add
This is great miscarriage support website. I found lots comfort there. I love it's simple and direct approach. Also Sherene at the nurtured life has some great resources and support links to check out.
I also feel broody. But that's a given, no? I have come to think of it as simply part of the female condition. Of being female, and young and fertile. Of course broodiness comes along with that. Especially now My Girl has weaned. She has done so much earlier than her brothers (they were, um about 5). I realised recently that she just doesn't ask any more and bedtimes she falls asleep after I have read to her and she puts her face into the space between my shoulder and chin. No milk. So I think this lack of nursing, this space I find myself in, physically, contributes to that ache of want.
I am finding that I have these weird moments, these short seconds of something a bit like panic - this feeling of - counting heads and finding myself short. It's sort of as close to that as I can describe. Like there's a certain thing missing I can't quite place. And I have to physically straighten myself shake it off. I think it's the body feeling of having started something that cannot be completed. There will always be that sense of poise on the edge of a thing about to happen. I remember it. And I can feel why woman in this place would rush to get pregnant instantly again.
But also as my years creep by (for once I actually did do just that, hello Esmé!) and the time of being a mother and woman carries me further along I see the rightness in a big pause. A sense of letting time settle and of letting things have their place. Of not rushing, but letting the sadness be if it is, of letting the broodiness sit on me. It won't crush me, but I feel I have a lesson to learn from it. Some days I don't know what it might be, and I weep when the dog causes some mayhem when I might as easily have laughed. I suppose letting things be. As they are. Is a lesson in it's self. There are tiny wisps of time, like early morning mist that soon vanishes, when I do actually feel like I might one day become the woman who fears nothin'.
14 comments:
Sending you peace and healing x
Such beautiful words Claire and your take on life is something I could do with learning.
AS you said, you never know there might be another babe... I miscarried a baby before Pip was born and exactly a year to the previous babe's due date, Pip made an appearance!
Your knitting is just gorgeous, where do you get your wool? I've just treated myself to some "Quince and co" American wool and it's beautifully soft. I'm trialling it in a hat and then will probably buy more to make a warm cardi for me.
Hope you have a lovely day.
San x
Ah yes - I have a not quite finished Cardigan from a lost babe the year before J appeared. It lies in the bottom of one of my stash baskets and if I am rummaging through, I see it and I stop and remember... now I will think of yours, and San's too.
Enjoy your day - hope you are healing. xxx
I love your knitting Claire; the need to create is a very strong one, but even so, what a lot of knitting! Hope you are being kind to yourself. I love reading your blog, you are always so honest I feel x
What an astonishing collection of knits, clever Mama. You are being very philosophical, yes, think of today, enjoy the precious gems you find in today with your girl and maybe think about tomorrow, maybe don't think past that soup. Your body is wonderous and wise that I have no doubt. A lot of hugs and love coming your way X
All so well and truthfully said. And the truth of it, is just that, we have to be with it to heal it. I am amazed at how much knitting you did. I actually knit franticly after the loss, I kept saying it was for a new baby ( or I would have baby gifts forever). There were so many levels to the grief. The loss of this baby, the loss of the "pregnancy", and I just couldn't deal with the grief of having no more children. I decided to put it away and refuse to let it in, for now.
Thank you for the link up, and for talking so openly. Much Much love and many hugs and blessings.
Oh Claire, I didn't know you had lost your baby. My blogging and blog-reading has been a bit haphazard these past weeks. My heart goes right out to you as you are such a natural mother and to lose your pregnancy, surprise pregnancy or not, must hurt you to the core. I still get choked up when I hear things on the radio etc, discussing miscarriage, it reminds me of the days following mine where I just felt flat and like the world had kept turning but there was something huge missing. I cuddled my children and knew I was lucky to have them, but my body knew it had lost something precious and I kept forgetting I had miscarried in split-seconds of happiness and then suddenly remembering and feeling that hollow emptiness all over again. I guess this is the same for you.
You are right to keep open, to not make demands or ultimatums of yourself, I tried to do that and it's too painful. The right path will make itself known to you. After my miscarriages last year I was so frightened and had lost so much faith in my body. First the MS, then the lost pregnancies - my body seemed to have lost the plot altogether!! I felt like someone was telling me something, like I should quit while I was ahead etc etc. People say some pretty senseless things regarding miscarriage. You're a wonderful mum and your baby was very much loved and will always be loved. You are still a natural mother, your blog captures perfectly how family is every part of you.
Be gentle on yourself and leave the door open. Sending you lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx
Such beautiful clothes, and such beautiful emotion. I can imagine that weaning has its own set of - very strong - emotions, so coming at this time, I feel for you, I really do.
Sending bright blessings and sunshine, and the will to Just Be.
women's bodies are wise, we should trust them more often i think.
i hope you can be gentle with yourself and just be with what is happening.
your knitting is beautiful. i have always wanted to pick it up. one day.
hugs to you and gentle healing.
Claire, your writing reminds me of my thoughts when I have spent too much time with them, alone. This is not a derogatory comment; i'm just saying, just explaining why I keep coming back to your blog. We are wiser and stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Take care.
tears and love here.
Gentle healing to you, mama. Those knits are just beautiful; your little one had other things in mind, but another little one will be blessed to wear those things.
(I'm another with a baby born a year after a loss - Rowan was born two days after Lael's birthday, unplanned in every sense but the longing to have another baby since she was conceived while my body was still all over the place.)
Tears over your beautiful wee knits and over your beautiful words. Life and death is such a mystery sometimes, but our bodies and spirits are strong and wise enough to live, learn and heal. Yours sound strong. But we have moments of frailty and we must be gentle with ourselves.
I have lost three pregnancies,
and my eldest daughter, but I have three wonderful children still with me who remind me to love and live and grow.
Many blessings to you and thankyou for your post
you are amazing.
Post a Comment