Thursday, November 10, 2011

cats and beeswax

This was George the day before yesterday; asleep happily at the end of my bed with a fold of patchwork quilt around him.



This is him today after a car hit him.



The Man let him out of the house at 6.30am as he took the dog for a walk and by the time he came home there he was lying in the middle of the road, crying. He was pretty bloody and we couldn't tell from where, I could see it coming from his nose and mouth and he wasn't moving, just still. I thought the worst, who doesn't: car + cat usually = bad things. I stayed at home and The man made an early trip to the vet. He is at home! And alive! And seems to be fine, really. He was hit around the head, everywhere else is fine. He has lost a tooth and seems to have a rip at the bottom of his mouth, he spent a whole day on the sofa, I kept the fire going and he slept. I fed him chicken bone broth (really!) and then scraps of raw chicken. This morning I let him out and ten minutes later I saw him streak by with a mouse dangling from his mouth.

Yippeeee! I have never said yipppeee before when he has done this. But this time I did. We all cheered, even Felix who cries over worms chopped in half and when I tell him lamb actually comes from real live lambs. It's not just a coincidental name.

He's lost one of his nine lives for sure, but at least the road didn't finish him off like his twin brother Fred. I have been happy all day just because he is alive. I didn't realise I liked him quite so much. But I do. He's a great mouser and has never scratched a single person ever. In my book this gives him 10/10 in the cat department, he fulfils his requirements and earns his keep (mousing).



Cat worries aside, I also finally got around to dipping leaves in beeswax. I have been meaning to do this for years (for some reason) and finally did so. It felt a dreadful waste of delicious beeswax, which I usually emulsify in creams and balms, but I was prepared to give it a go, as an experiment. I am pleased to say, wastage aside I very much liked the resulting textures. They look almost edible, sort of toffee dipped.



I love how they dry almost the instant the come out of the wax. Very useful if you have a three year old helping out. I tied them with gold thread to a wooden hoop to hang as a mobile and the tangle of threads every time the wind blew almost drove me insane and after four detanglements I snipped half off and spaced them all very very far apart. The spare ones I hung on our art string where we peg pictures and drawings. All very autumnal. I am hoping they last until Christmas so they can have a new lease of life on the tree.



OK, long enough spent talking about leaves and beeswax. But it was all a very good way to spend an hour.

12 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

Oh well done George surviving such a horrible near miss! The leaves are so pretty, I'm sure they'll last nicely. :)

Claire said...

So glad everything turned out ok. Cats are so good at carrying on even when they must be in some discomfort. The leaves look great!

The Colourful Girl said...

Awww poor little thing! I'm glad he's ok.x

devonmama said...

So glad George is ok, what a scare. Your leaves look great, clever way to keep them for longer, I'm always a bit sad when the leaves we bring in crinkle up and get thrown out!

Claire said...

His twin brother Fred was not so lucky and the car that hit him on the same road was fatal. Roads and cats just don't mix. I think in towns it must be worse, here I have one road to think about, but maybe cats just beome more road savy?

Pippa said...

What a lucky cat!! You must be so relieved and it's great that he's back out mousing again (well, not great for the mice, but you know what I mean!). With a bit of lucky, he will stay away from the road from now on or at least, be a bit more road savvy which will save him from a worse accident. I bet you feel wrung out with emotions, I know I would be!!

I WANT TO DO THAT LEAF THING!!! They are beautiful!!!! I've never seen that done before, but oh, how lovely they would look strung around the caravan. I currently have lots of floral, Cath Kidston type, bunting in the caravan, but was thinking the other day how it won't be very seasonal for the darker months of the year. How long will those leaves last before they start going crinkly? Did you have to do anything to the leaves before you dipped them into the beeswax? Do you use a special wax burner or a bowl over a pan of water? I know my eldest DD would really enjoy doing this and we are lucky enough to have lots of different trees around. I have quite a lot of beeswax left over from when I made beeswax polish and candles a few years back to I think. xxxxxxx

Pippa said...

By the way, I had to chuckle at you saying that lamb was actually lamb, not a coincidental name. I've had this with my children too. When Rosie was little, she asked where her meat had come from and I told her that when an animal dies, along comes a human and eats it - you know, kind of recycling!!! Which is awful isn't it, not exactly lying, but definitely leaving out a lot of the truth!! I'm more honest these days, but I'm sure Minnie doesn't believe me when I say we're eating chicken, especially since getting the ex-batts. Mummy couldn't be THAT heartless could she?

Sandra Ann said...

So pleased that George is safe and as well as can be expected.

Your beeswax leaves look just lovely, I bet they smell delicious too.

San

charityshopgirl66 said...

What a sweetie pie he is, and how lucky. Glad he is fine. x

Val said...

Poor George, as a cat owner I understand how close our little feline friends become. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
V
xxx

Earthenwitch said...

Poor George - so glad he's OK! Roads and cats are indeed a terrible mix; we live on a very small lane but even so I still fret about ours ALL THE TIME.

Leaves are lovely. Ours lasted about six weeks last year; we'll see with this year's lot, as they're out on the front door so might last longer in the cold...?

Amélie said...

Wonderful beewax leaves. What a poetic idea for a mobile. Thank you for sharing.