Monday, November 21, 2011

coffee dislike



Yeah, the real stuff, actual coffee. And tea. Never drank. Never been in a situation to drink it (ie, never 'worked' in a place where I had tea breaks or anything). The only time I liked coffee used to be when it was someone else's and I dipped in a biscuit.



Anyway. The Little Coffee Bean, number four, didn't fit. Didn't. Bloody. Fit. She was not impressed and neither was I. This is an example of what happens when you don't knit a gauge square. I immediately cast on another sweater and then a third of the way in stopped and thought - why? Why am I making another, without a gauge square and also, why this sweater? There are a million and four mini-cardi patterns to pick from out there. I dare say my love of the Coffee Bean is dwindling fast. This may well be the last one ever. Ever. And from now on I will endeavour to at least try knitting a gauge square, just to see if they really work. They might.



This one is cute, despite not fitting, I am planning to gift it now with some knitted slippers, since the thought of another cardigan sitting around owner-less is sort of boring. I took off the one big black button and sewed on lots of tiny wooden ones instead, since I couldn't even get the thing closed around The Beauty's body.


9 comments:

Sandra Ann said...

Yep had that happen to me... now I knit a gauge square for everything !!

At least you have an owner for the cardi.

San x

kat @ slugs said...

Oh no!

Maybe its the pattern? I mean I had problems, you had (multiple) problems. Maybe the pattern is wrong? *she says hopefully*

BTW, I can't search on your blog for the mitten pattern. Its disabled or summin'. Can you link it somewhere when you get the chance?

Claire said...

Kat - the link worked fine for me, but here you go:

http://mamauktalesfromwales.blogspot.com/2010/10/mittens-pattern.html

Katie said...

Measure your gauge off the finished item?

Gauge swatches lie.

melody said...

bummer. It's a shame, it looks cute and those colors really look lovely on her.

Earthenwitch said...

Bummer! And it looks so nice too. Which size were you doing, and how much too small is it? I was thinking of doing one for my (big!) small girl, but am feeling a tad daunted by the sizing issue in light of your (and Kat's) experiences...

Claire said...

Ok, so for a 3-4 yr old knit it on 7mm needles! i think I have it this time :) I am using dk wool too but you could big it up with aran, I kind of like the looser look that the dk is providing. Will try and finish it up tonight and take pics tomorrow, only the cuffs and button band to do. I just had her try it on whilst still on the needles (she doesn't mind, honestly, in fact I think she likes the added danger). So yeah, use a pair of 7mm (or circular 7's if you have them) and you should have no probs.

kat @ slugs said...

duh - I didn;t see the link at the side. I kept trying to search and it didn;t work! thank you!!

Earthenwitch said...

Right - 7mm needles it is. It's next up on the knitting list, so wish me luck - just read your latest 'it fits!' post, so happy that you've found your way through it, and keeping my fingers crossed it'll work for my small girl too!