Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the just rolled out of bed look



Well. Not really. But it is a Pillowcase Dress.



Instructions: Snip a pillowcase to the desired length - leaving the regular opening for the feet end. Snip of the corners at the top (arm shaping). Hem them. Fold over the two top straight bits and sew leaving a gap enough to thread a ribbon each through both front and back (stitch ribbon in place if you like). Voilá. Easy peasy.



Summer dressing at it's easiest. My clever friend used bias tape for the snipped of corner edges and other edging, so that would be a good option too. I just didn't have any on hand. The pillowcase I pilfered from my MIL's house, it's a pretty embroidered one from Laura Ashley. Ha, so I had to use it :) Mine at home just are not so flash. I am on the look out now for charity shop antique embroidered ones too, they would look as sweet as pie. Oh! This dress was a bit wide so I kind of folded and tucked and sewed a bit under the arms. Maybe you can see from the photos. Hopefully the dress will withstand a bit of unpicking there next year when she has grown a bit.



Before I narrowed this down I wore it myself a as a top. It actually looked nice. I just need strapless underwear which is also suitable for breastfeeding, the bras-less look after a decade of breastfeeding just is a no-no quite honestly. So it's versatile too, if you happen to be: a baby, small girl, have the right undergarments or have teeny tiny boobs (not I, alas, mine are known here as 'milkers' which doesn't summon up images suitable for see through white clothing).

The Beauty though, she looks scrumptious in this dress. Like a little ice cream.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I love it, so simple yet so beautiful!!! Not quite right for out current climate here but will give it a go in the summer.

I hope that all is well with Isaac and school. I really feel for you at this time, sending lot's of cyer hugs!!!!

Oh yeah and the hair clip looks so CUTE!!!! I have just started putting one in Lola's hair to keep it out of her eye's. Makes them look older somehow, don't you think? XXX

Claire said...

Oooh, I can feel the need to stroll round the charity shops right now in search of a fancy pillowcase. Thank you for the ideas.

Anonymous said...

so...she truly is "the beauty". i can't help but love the hair!

Amber Liddle said...

I love those dresses! I also found that working with a bed sheet is good--just cut it about the size of a pillowcase and make a seam where a pillowcase would be sewn. Then use the finished edge as the hem. Another thing you can look for at the charity shop :)