
Ok. This was in today's Guardian:
More than 1,4000 tonnes of potentially hazardous waste, including nappies, condoms and bags of blood, will be returned to Britain from Brazil as UK authorities investigate whether they were illegally exported. The Environment Agency said yesterday plans were being made to bring back the rubbish. Five Brazilian companies that imported waste between February and May have already been fined, although they said they thought they were receiving plastic for recycling. The head of Brazil's environment agency said his country was not 'a rubbish dump of the world'.
Is it the fact that we don't have the necessary facilities to dispose of this rubbish? Is it that it's cheaper to cart it off around the world where someone else can deal with it? (Oh the sickening transport costs - and now doubled since it is all heading back here).... but what really riles me is that knowing this, the government don't do more to promote (or enforce) cloth nappy use (what about disposables on prescription only, like formula milk in the Netherlands?). The Real Nappy scheme that started off in this country (by the government) has flopped. Why? Why don't they appeal to more people? My BIL once said that he'd rather do anything with his 'free' time than load up the washing machine with nappies. Like dig your own pit in the garden to bury your son's disposable nappies? I asked. Cos' that is what maybe you should do..... There is no way I could ever sit on the fence about cloth vs. disposable. I am not the National Childbirth Trust.
Three children - and I am still using the nappies I started out with. Oh plus more. But not that much more. Camping, travelling (plane, train, and automobile), shopping, restaurants, museums, day trips, holidays.... I can truly say that using cloth has been no more trouble than asking (when away for a few days) if a washing machine is available some where near. Easier than finding the local takeaway, or at least as easy as. It's not like we are talking about huge amounts of physical labour involved in washing the itty bitty cloth things either: toss them through a round door, and the eco balls and press a button. Two of my children have never ever had a disposable touch their peachy soft butt cheeks. And they only wear/wore a couple of nappies a day anyway because it's nice to be bare and who minds about a little puddle of baby milk-baby wee?
And all of this might again be made even easier and more eco friendly if we learned the art of Elimination Communication. Now I can't honestly see it catching on in a mainstream way, we are too anti-body and certainly too anti-body-excrement for that. But it would be amazing if it did. Or at least it might be practiced at home in any case. And so mid way between wanton rubbish accumulation and nakedness is cloth.
Cloth nappies (or no nappies at all, aka elimination communication) are EASY. The child who refuses to use a potty might be helped by using cloth since you pretty much feel the wetness when it happens and that is just not comfortable. For anyone. Consciousness salved too by using cloth when a child is in nappies beyond the 'normal' three years. And the estimated space of two football pitches covered in disposable nappies by then (age three years) doesn't have to extend any sickeningly further. There are even nappies that are so easy to use, you push the absorbant pad inside the cover and snap on. Even the stupidest person could figure it out. So great for grandparents or nursery care people (erm, not that thery are stupid ya hear me, just not maybe nappy savvy:) ) Check out a a napppy like FuzziBunz if that would fit your bill.
You save money. Time no. But time spent now might save the world that little bit more from being ravaged and fouled up for your child. I don't think it's that much of an exaggeration. It just might help. Ask your mother or friend if they would mind doing the occasional load of regular washing if you are struggling with a newborn. Meals too since you are in there asking for favours :)
I loathe disposable nappies. There is nothing disposable about them. Even their name is a lie. They are going no where. They'll be right here, pretty much forever (as long as forever counts to those who we hold dear in any case). I see even people putting their eco-disposables into those little vile smelling blue nappy plastic sacks. Why? We live in this very odd time. Don't we? So much has been written online and on paper about disposables and the way they are produced and the massive energy costs involved in every step of their production. There is no need for me to say it again here. It's huge.
Plus...
...using cloth means seeing little nappies blowing dry in the wind and that is soothing to the soul. And we could all do with a bit of Soul soothing after wringing our hands over The Guardian (just for the record this is the first newspaper I have EVER bought!) Therefore I must be astoundingly ignorant of so many issues you might think... And be spot on. My heart aches too much and my mind buzz's like an unhappy, angry wasp when I read newspapers. So I don't.
Which is just as well because if I did I may be posting more of these sigh inducing, soap box style posts that leave me looking like I am frowning down from my lofty pedestal. I am not, it's more like my upturned face is at the feet of mothers begging them not to toss that package of disposables into their supermarket trolly. But to go home and wrap a t-shirt around their babe's tush while they source some cloth nappies. Can you (reading this) do that?

Amen.
Kittykins, great selection of cloth nappies
Twinkle on the Web, them too.
If I offend, please feel free to never read my blog again :)
19 comments:
I'm so in love with this post! I did use disposables for the first year and I don't honestly know why?? We debated the cloth issue and ended up still going with sposies. I hate that I did that! But now we're using cloth and Ingrid goes bare most of the time at home and she's 14 months and goes on the potty sometimes. My friends are like really??? That young?? And you're right that ECing won't become mainstream, but I'm glad that people are talking about it because I never knew what it was until I read Gina's blog and now I want to read up on it for the next baby. So it's okay to step up on that soapbox every once in awhile, because people need to hear it from someone, why not you :)
In town once or twice we have been out of nappies... So we have gone and bought something fabric from the second hand shop to put inside the least soiled cover we have with us!
One small change at a time, that's the way - and before long using cloth is so normal you can't do anything *but*. :)
Rant away Claire!! I WISH I had known more about cloth nappies with my earlier children. I had heard about them, but with no internet back then, I had to go by what the midwife and my mother told me, which was grim and it put me off thinking any more about cloth. I was told that they had to be soaked in bleach and that they gave the baby awful nappy rash. Both absolute rubbish. Then, I met someone who is very, very passionate about cloth nappies, like you and her enthusiasm was infectious and here I am using cloth nappies. I sooo wish I'd known about them right back in the beginning. All that waste, pollution and you're right, cloth nappies are a joy to see on the washing line. *sigh*. Keep spreading the word, that's what I'm doing.
I'm right up there on your soap box with you. Real nappies are so much better for the environment, and they are cheaper and better for our children. I have to wash clothes so what difference does adding a few nappies make? None. Yet when I tell people we use real nappies I get looked at like I've grown a head!
I agree on cloth. We use cloth and disposables make me feel ill - I really find the smell of a disposable-nappied child unpleasant. But formula only on prescription - that would stigmatise children like mine who are adopted and have to be on formula. I have already been so sick to the back teeth of the way I am treated by other mamas when I bring out a bottle for my children - people trying to "educate" me - or tutting, or telling my older children that they breast-feed because it is better. Lol - now I am on my soap box!
No one could accuse you of sitting on the fence Claire, lol! Thank you for shaming me into action. I used cloth during the daytime until Tilly was about 9 months old, then I got out of the habit, I don't know why, and have been using "eco" disposables since. It's pure laziness. So, you'll be pleased to know that I've just bought some lovely new bamboozles online and Tilly will be cloth-bottied in the morning. xx
Great post Claire, LOVE your passion and your ability to get your point across so well!!!
I love the idea of EC and we do try it at home, but we are not really having much luck. Your post made me laugh as just this morning after Lola had done yet another wee on the carpet, hubby wondered if there was any spot in the house that she had not yet done one!! Oh well we wash it up and our house doesn't smell like a urinary so we don't care!
Yay for cloth nappies and you are quite right watching them blowing in the wind is a lovely sight.
Get back on that soapbox any time you feel, I for one will still be reading your wonderful words of wisdom.... X
Good stuff Claire! Rant away any time :D
You know what? I totally agree and I'm going to order more nappies after this post because I have 12 cloth nappies between two children and it's just not enough, I can't get them dry quick enough and have resorted to buying disposables - there's just no need. I hate the things, yet used them for the first part of both of my children's lives.
So your rant has effected a small change, I won't be using disposables anymore. Here's to small changes... x
But you rant so eloquently, maybe you should buy more newspapers!
Did you get my email? computers playing up so not sure who is getting what!
Here, here sister!
So sad we couldn't meet up last week :( Hope Isaac has now made a full recovery poor thing. Probably just as well we didn't because my lot started going down with something on Friday!
Next time though eh?
Natalie
x
LOL! I love your last comment about if I have offended please feel to not read my blog agin. I'm not and I will return!
I am not even sure how I got to your blog but I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment.
You said the following in your posting......"Even the stupidest person could figure it out. So great for grandparents or nursery care people (erm, not that thery are stupid ya hear me, just not maybe nappy savvy:) )"
I just wanted to say that most of us grandparents had no choice but to use cloth nappies, so I think we are pretty savvy : ] Or maybe I am just an older grandma here! I did use disposables for my 4th daughter, I had been very unwell in this stage of my life and was also older and needed to take things a bit easier. TUT! But I also had more clothes to wash cos disposables were rubbish! Arghhhhh! Stupid choice!
But don't forget we led the way with clothies and they were just big squares that we had numerous ways to make into different shapes....depending on which way that particular childs contents went. It was fun...but I wish I had had the clothies that you youngsters now use. I love to put them on my grandaughters. It's a joy and so easy.
And you just have to make the washing them a part of your household routine.
Sorry to rabbit on.......Have a good day! :-)
I used terry squares on my first three boys...that and a bare bottom whenever we could...all using potty between 18 months and 2 years. 4th boy hardly ever wore clothes let alone nappies but all the nappies he wore have been cloth nappies...I was spoiled this time and had some T baby blue Tots bots and the wonderful and amazing, Motherease sandies.
No more nappies really in our house now...Will wears one in bed, but he so very rarely wets it I hardly need to wash any!!! I miss them hanging on the line...I love it! I don't read newspapers or watch the news either, for the same reason...always doom and gloom.
Amen sister!
Claiure, I'm so loving your blog, and the photos of your home are beautiful. Really inspiring me to declutter - i'm in nesting mode! lol.
Laura xx
rebnetl - well of course, you are right. In my ignorance I forgot the older mama's would have already been there and done this :)
So good to see such positive comments and so much cloth nappy use!!!
"I am still using the nappies I started out with"
Oooh you liar you. I know for a fact that there's a heap of disana tie ons you no longer use, because they envelop a small bottom not a million miles from me :)
Well I am because the nappies I started out with were Tots Bots I bought for Isaac. The Disana ones I never had until Felix so you'll have to stand corrected :lol
Those were the ones I then used half to death and then passed on to you.
Also I started out with some Motherese too which I still use, although the poppers are a bit dud.
I certainly try very hard not to lie :)
Or rather it's not so much trying hard not to lie, which sounds a very odd thing to say! More that I wouldn't lie about a nappy - only maybe something that might hurt some one, a white lie, which are utterly acceptable.
I know I still use the nappies I started with, it is not debatable, I enjoy seeing them on the third child. Disana tie on's were not around when I started cloth nappy using!
:hugs. I should have left more of a winky smug face :) I just love love love it that those disanas of yours are now on butt #4 between our two families :-) You are queen eco warrior, and inspire me in the same direction every day.
(I got easily recognisable basil in my veg box this week!)
Post a Comment