
Theories are odd things. They can be so uplifting, so inspiring, so confusing, sometimes plain odd, sometimes perplexing... sometimes so hard to achieve you feel you are constantly failing. Often some theories just 'click' and you get that 'wow' factor which leaves you buzzing and excited and wanting to talk to someone else about your 'discovery' : about this fabulously liberating way to parent your children, or a great idea that fits with the way you want to both eat well and tread lightly upon the earth (kissing the ground as you walk, isn't that a nice image? I just read someone saying that when we walk in haste, with urgency then we imprint this upon the earth with each step we take...).
Anyway.
What I am discovering about theories is that no matter how watertight, how wonderful, how amazing your theories may seem to be; it's not necessarily a great way to feel about them as so. To identify yourself so wholly with them. For in fact they are theories. They are not life. They are not me looking into my baby's eyes, or my son folding a piece of bread into his mouth.
Life is change. Life is being prepared to let in, being open. Being open. Not closing yourself to possibilities you assume have no interest to you or nothing to do with they way you see your life taking shape.
This guy manages to capture what I mean in a much more concise way:
Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice non attachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.
~Thich Nhat Hanh
When I am looking at food theories, parenting ideals, eco warrioring (these seem to be the themes of my life generally right now), I am seeking to apply this notion (ha, I nearly said, this theory ). It's hard not to want to identify yourself with theories, to attach and label oneself as this or that. Some of our labels are so noble and inspiring, we LOVE them, we want them and others to know of which theories we try to possess and own. I am a baby wearer, I co-sleep, I practice attachment parenting, I strive to eat locally, seasonally, wholefoods, organically..... this list could go on - these ways in which I feel proud to describe myself.
But what happens when I don't? When I am the true me, apart from all of this? I am practicing meditating (oh, only in bed at night as a means to relax and sleep, hey when else in my day could I fit it in?) and am finding that I get to this place where I can see my fears, my anxiety, my worry and not be them. It is pretty remarkable. I don't know where it's going but it feel good to see that none of the labels, the theories are really me. That I can see them and yet also feel they are periphery to life's central experience. That of simply being and living.
It is pretty cool.
That's pretty much all I came here today to say.
I am open to life's experience and in seeing what comes along the way. All of these are my lessons. Everything, every experience, idea, theory, I can learn from in one way or another. Everything can have a rose hue. If I let it. If I let it. And so I am trying. And it feels pretty good. It means I smile a lot more. These are the things which will enrich my family's life. No theory could ever do that. None.
That's my theory anyway :) It certainly makes life look so very different. Like a whole new season.

4 comments:
Lovely post Claire and very true. When I am feeling insecure or confidence in my own abilities is running low, I find myself grasping at theories either to reinforce that what I am doing is right or else to beat myself up with what I feel I'm failing to be.
Much as I respect a lot of the parenting books that are around, I have found that they have given me as much anxiety as help as I often don't feel confident enough to take the bits that are applicable and leave the bits that aren't without worrying. When left to my own instincts regarding parenting, I have found that most of the answers are there, as you said, in the eyes of each child and while it's sometimes interesting to read theories, I must try to rmember that they only represent the experiences of the author and not necessarily of me. Thanks Claire, a really lovely and thought-provoking post!!
wonderful post!
excellent thoughts.
i agree with you that when you cling tightly to one theory or way of being, what does happen to you when you find something else or for heaven's sake, fail.
i think that's where lovingkindness comes in best. i love to paraphrase pema chodron who basically says to love the amazing wonderful parts of yourself you have to love the gnarly, mangey parts of yourself too because without both you aren't you.
we seem to have the same focuses here lately! and i just have to say i love that little flaky skirt your green bean is wearing!
oh and your new header is gorgeous. i love the greens.
Thank you for this post Claire, it is very relevent to me right now!
Lots of love,
Natalie
X
Post a Comment