But a burglar? Who knocks? A crafty one then. I told the postman this and we laughed. We know the postman, he is jolly and smiley and exactly as a postman should be. He's not creepy like the one we had in our last place over on the coast in Wales who would let himself in if I didn't answer the door on the first knock. Weird. He only wanted to chat and share gossip but still.
We lived in a crumbly damp poky little Welsh farm house and the only other neighbours also lived in poky damp little Welsh farm houses (sweet and cute and beamed and woodburing stove type they may have been, but overwhelming they were damp.... or maybe that's just Wales). Anyway, when you live somewhere the postman has to drive to and get out of his van to visit, we have found they are liable to want to chat. Which is nice really. That we have time to chat is also a nice thing. Sometimes I wonder if I am so starved for adult conversation that I chat for too long. But well, that's a whole other topic....

Today the postman brought Esmé her first pair of shoes. Thus far she has worn the wonderfully endearing Padraig Cottage boots. She adores them, I adore them, they are warm without her feet ever getting sweaty, they dry like lightening (when placed on the AGA rail - yes, it's finally working again), they can be thrown in the washing machine and come out fluffy and lovely again. BUT this girl does not like wellies. The way the top of the boot touches her legs. So she has been barefoot a lot. Which I think is nice (postmen, bare feet - will there be an end to niceness today?). But when we are out and about and it's wet and the soft boots get soaked, and bare feet are just not a nice idea... we needed shoes.

There must be something weird about me that I don't like shoes on tiny people. I think maybe Esmé is the first to get a pair of shoes so early... hmm, she just might be. She is 17 months old. What I like is that little feet should be able to move as they would bare footed. They are small and soft and need flexibility. No rigid soles or structured-ness suits me. So Clarks and such are out of the window. I love Soft Star Shoes, we have been a customer there before (but pssst! Take note - if your child is flat footed they do not offer enough support at the ankle and the child ends up walking on the side of the shoe/boot rather than the sole - not so good - same with Celtic sheepskin boots - which again we all love here - except flat-footed Isaac).
I like these too, these new first shoes for Esmé. They are very flexible, the sole bends in half, heel to toe just with a gentle squeeze. They are soft and breathable. They are quite cute too. Felix liked his pair last year and when he saw these today said he wanted another pair. They also have a sale on right now. How can I be plugging products? Well I am, so there. And for free! And these companies don't even know it.

Even nicer is when you get to wear hand knitted socks with your new shoes, sent by dear friend means they are even sweeter.
Lots of fun to be had with packaging. Hold on - the shoes were not packed in that box. Don't worry. Felix loves these cornstarch bits of packaging. One lick and stick, stick you can go and create figures and such. Today it was used in mad crazy throwing play and also as a lucky-dip box.


But what came in this mega box? Not more shoes. Postman also brought nice things for me too. In the form of my very very most favourite drink on earth. Go on, offer me anything! I will refuse for one of these lovely coconut water drinks. The boys don't like them. I am so happy about that because I get more. Greedy am I not? Esmé loves them though and will happily slurp half of one in a single sitting. They have a perfect electrolyte balance and re-hydrate the body efficiently, much more so than regular water. Plus they have minerals and amino acids. Just for some thrown in nutritional info. They are so nice. Nice, nice, nice. I could drink one a day if only I could afford it. But I am happy getting a few every now and again. Better than cosmetics, better than chocolate. Seriously. Did I just type that? Well since I no longer eat the stuff the water's a clear winner.

My other most favourite luxury - which I didn't buy today, but is worth mentioning here because it's just lushous. Is in fact a once or twice a year thing (or lovely gift from kind person), it's this wonderful wonderful Neals Yard Remedies bubble bath. I am super fussy about anything on my skin, and bathe with plain water usually so this is just divine.

When the postman brings me this, I am also happy to see him.
I do hope my dh doesn't read this, he might get jealous. Actually if you do, sweet man, then you now know exactly the two things you could buy me come gift giving days to make me happy. Coconut water and seaweed bubble bath. Easy to please am I. Although you would not agree I know, you'd say I am the worst sort who thinks I am easy to please but am in fact hard to do so (said with a smile I think). Which is entirely untrue (but very Harry met Sally-ish). Coconut water and seaweed bubble bath. Some things bear repeating. Oh and postmen! Yes, in this house when the postman is mistaken for the burglar - it only means one good thing - parcels.
4 comments:
You're on funny form today, Claire! This post made me laugh. I'm with you all the way on the Neal's Yard bubble bath though, yum. Very much like Esme's shoes too. xx
Neal's Yard goodies and coco juice - I think you must have got parcels meant for me. I buy the coco juice over here and add it to soup and as many other things as I can think of. I just have to remember not to actually ask for it by name as coco is the word for poo in Portguese!
Lou xx
I absolutely love your blog! How wonderful to live so far away from other people too! I think I will have to try that bubble bath sometime soon!
I can't wait to read more posts!
I think I have to get some of those Soft Star Shoes for Ingrid, in green. So stinkin' cute! And I LOVE the shoes you got for Esme :) I usually have Ingrid barefoot, too-it will be so strange to put socks and shoes on again when the weather gets colder.
Post a Comment