Sunday, July 19, 2009

And after the journey....

We are home. A week away makes your home seem exotic and deliciously familiar all at once. I had a great time at my mum's though because I get to relax while someone adores her grandchildren.

We had this amazingly nightmarish four hour train journey (only one bit of our day's journey I might add) whereby Esmé decided not only that she certainly would not have a nap but that she was going to wreck the mental equilibrium of every passenger in the bursting full train carriage. There was a scene where she was sitting on the messy table - think food remains, Beano annuals, raisin boxes... and holding aloft a bag of crisps which she popped everywhere. Then laughed like a maniac. And then bit me, and then bit Felix and then squeezed a bottle of water in Felix's face and he was soaked. We all burst out laughing. What else was there to do? At least that way it looks like we are all having a jolly time rather than me taking 'control' and creating Stress. I could feel these vibes from some people though - their looks and seat shuffling, flicking of newspapers - that I ought to have more control over my kids.... I just smiled A LOT. At everyone. And the funny thing was doing so actually made me even more sympathetic and empathetic and nice to my unruly train-tired kids. We had a lovely compliment from a man who couldn't believe Esmé was signing to me and another who said I had well mannered children. So that evened it out a bit. But phew. I am so glad today is a lovely home day. The boys are all off at a bike riding birthday party but Esmé and I decided to stick at home, unpack and settle back in.

First out to the garden where I pulled our first carrots, no 1st prize for a uniform look, we grow mad ones here.



I removed this gigantic toppling pile of books from the side of my bed and turned the sewing room/guest room/dressing room/playroom window sill into a book shelf.



I decluttered some craft shelves.



I washed, folded and hung clothes.



I re-stacked Esmé 's book shelves near our bed.



I updated my daily food journal (just so I can be more aware of what I eat and see where I need to tweak).



I cleaned, tidied and renewed the nature shelf.



I washed here, dusted there, straightened up the play-kitchen in the real kitchen.



Took myself and babe out for a walk along our usual sheep and cow spotting track.

Made raw choc. love balls, raw choc. toffee for the week ahead, and then ate the twisted carrots straight up, sweet sweet sweet with some hummus. The chard, courgettes, onion, garlic and aubergine (from the garden!) I sauteed briefly with VCO and tamari for me and The Beauty. She liked the salmon-nori rolls best, though a bowl of plain humus hits the spot for her too.



We relaxed, drifted around doing little bits here and there inside and out.

With the boys away she took control of their drawing supplies (and chairs) to create a few master pieces.



A peaceful day at Home :)

1 comment:

willow81 said...

I love decluttering, it's a good feeling. Glad you had a lovely time away and it sounds like your 'smiling strategy' on the train worked a treat. I tend to get very stressed and very embarrassed in situations like that so I should try it myself! xx