Saturday, June 20, 2009

chocolate love balls



Er, yeah corny name, apologies. What can I say, I'd like to announce that one of my kids named these, but I'd be lying, it was me. Felix wanted to know what they were as I rolled them and this just popped out. It made him want one though (which was my aim, because he is my hard-to-please food-wise child). He thought they were wonderful, so did Isaac and Esmé (but they both will eat anything, so Felix was the real test).

I just utterly threw them together and didn't measure anything. They took 5-10 minutes max from grabbing things from the cupboard to rolling...

chocolate love balls
almonds - maybe a big handful
cashews, another big handful
hemp seeds, yeah the big handful again
ground flax seeds, good sprinkle (handful?)
dates, fistful (lower GI: use a dollop of almond butter)
cocoa powder, 2-3 heaped tbsp
squeeze of agave nectar
good sprinkle of lucuma powder (or use mesquite/maca or what ever superfoods you have around)

~Blitz in the magimix until it all comes together in a big squishy firm dollop (well broken and almost smooth but still with a slight crunch). Roll into tiny balls and place in sweetie papers.

The dates mean it is not strictly low GI. But it's not bad. As a treat. I had a few of these for lunch :) But I did have salmon and nori and salad for breakfast (unconventional you say?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~

**edited to add - that I had a mini brainwave this morning! Instead of the high GI dates - almond butter could be sub'd - I can't wait to try that combo, it would hold them togehter just as well I think, plus add a touch of salt...mmmmmm :)**

3 comments:

Sian said...

well it made me laugh and they do look delicious Claire!
Maybe one day I'll give you a list of all the foods Innis can have and you'll be able to come up with some wonderful recipes!!!!
Are you up for the park on tue?

Claire said...

Yes! The park sounds fine for Tuesday :) What time?

Kat said...

oooh these look good!! (Goes off to scrounge up ingredients at 9:07am instead of doing laundry)