I love this stuff. I really do. So here is what I found:
Arrowroot flour, the only starch with a calcium ash, is a nutritious food, obtained from the fleshy root stock of a tropical American plant. It is an easily digested food well fitted for infants and the convalescent.
It resembles cornstarch in being white fine and powdery. When heated in water in certain proportions, it thickens to form a jelly, an excellent thickening agent. It is also considered more desirable for gravies, sauces and pastries than some of the more common starches and flours. It is used primarily for food it dietetic use, where it enjoys a reputation for smoothness and palatability.
Arrowroot was once widely used in baby formula as a superior carbohydrate, experience having shown it agreed with babies better than any other starch or sugar. We now find the reason. It is the only starch product with calcium ash. In this regard the calcium chloride, in the form of calcium found in arrowroot starch is very important for the maintenance of proper acid and alkali balances in the human body.
Arrowroot only thrives on tidal flats where the sea minerals are available. It's known health building properties may be due to trace minerals from the sea, as well as from the calcium it gets from the sea water. If it is used in ice cream formulas in place of cornstarch, arrowroot imparts a vanilla-like flavour, a smooth texture. Arrowroot as it comes to you is not a refined product, it is simply the dried and powdered root.
~Royal Lee, DDS Journal of the National Academy of research Biochemists
-----------
Just because I found this and wanted to share :)
I just aquired some coconut flour (and lots more lovely virgin coconut oil) from Tiana. I tried it in place of arrowroot in the cookies I mentioned below but the arrowroot is vastly supererior in taste and texture. In this recipe at least. I still want to try this fab coconut flour cake though....
Also I have just discovered Yacon Syrup, from the peruvian root. Kind of tatses like a mellower molasses. Expensive but adds a lovely extra taste to things, sweet but reputedly the body does not assimilate the sugars in this, so you get the sweet hit without the raised blood sugar levels. Plus it is supposed to be probiotic. I bought mine here.
My new favourite health kick - vitamin D. I just can't get enough info on this magic stuff, watch these videos and be converted to it's potentially potent effect it could have on your health. The first video is a taster, this second is longer and more informative. I swallowed them whole. You can buy the spray Mercola mentions here. I already ordered an emulsified therputic course from the the US otherwise I think I might have bought this one... although I may anyway for my kiddos...
I have loads more cool and exciting (well to me at least, although I think I may be verging on boring others with my constant food babble) food stuff to share but no time to blog today. Hopefully I'll get some time over the weekend when my dh has the boys out some where and The Beauty naps :)
1 comment:
are you kidding? food posts boring?
i so admire your commitment to making this diet work for you and i'm learning a lot along the way!
Post a Comment