Thursday, June 04, 2009

food



Because food it is a Big Deal right now. My food journey has taken a sharp and unexpected turn. My approach to keeping my auto immune condition in remission is a rather more holistic one than the conventional attitude. First up for me since it is immediate and something over which I can exert control (believe me this feels like a HUGE deal when it's as though there is an invisible under-skin battle happening over which I am the anxious bystander). I have a friend who is writing a book for an auto immune specialist. Coincidentally. How is that for a stroke of luck? She has been sending info to me and I am amazed that there is so much to know about our immune systems. It is fascinating. To me now. This specialist does a combination of high tech lab - blood tests and then uses botanical compounds (amongst other things) to re balance the immune system. Or rather uses the testing to find out if the T or B cells are out of control either under or over producing and the specific botanical compounds then relate to dampen the immune response. In support of this is the use of high, or therapeutic, levels of emulsified Vitamin D, and a vascular glutathione cream (a naturally occurring antioxidant that is usually low in those with auto immune conditions). Then of course there is the repairing of a potential leaky gut (which leads to leaky lungs and brain) and is the heart of the immune system, and so not just probiotics but specific gut healing compounds can be used.

There is a lot to take in. But a lot I *can* do. Which makes me feel so much better, so much more in control, so much happier! I am looking for someone to take these sorts of extensive blood tests in order to figure out which of the 'medicines' I can use. My friend is ordering me the products to support my immune system and has put together a plan for me based around this approach.

Also paramount is having a gluten free diet as the effects of gluten can be both severe or subtle but usually effect everyone on some level. It is also interesting that many auto immune specialists won't treat those who are not gluten free. So I decide to be grain free. Sugar free is important, including fruit sugars so that I can keep my blood sugar levels from fluctuating - which alone can cause immune issues, so I am refined sugar and fruit free. Also from an eliminating allergen stance I have eliminated dairy, eggs, soy and corn for a while. Although I think I am going to stick with being dairy free, I like it :)

So what do I eat? Not much right?

I can eat veg; root, salad, leaf, sea. Meat and fish. Nuts and seeds (although I think at some point I should eliminate them for a bit and then reintroduce them to see how they effect me), superfoods, blueberries (low in sugar, high in antioxidants).... plus, well so many other things. Like arrowroot. Arrowroot is my new best friend because with it I can make these:



Almond and coconut cookies

1/2 cup of ground almonds
1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
pinch of pink Himalayan salt
1 cup of arrowroot powder

1/2 cup of Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 cup - or less - of agave nectar
dash of vanilla extract


~Mix the dry. Melt the VCO and stir in the agave and vanilla. Add wet to dry and mix. Form into balls with your hands and then press flat on a greased (VCO) tray. bake at medium heat for about 15 minutes.

I also made Lucuma Fudge



Found here on the fabulous Susan Jane Murray site -which is chock full of gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free recipes.

But enough of the sweets. What do I actually eat?

For breakfasts I eat soups, or left over roast veggies sitting in a big romaine leaf with shelled hemp seeds scattered over.... lunch is something salad-y, with shredded chicken or fish (and hemp seeds - I am becoming so fond of these creamy little seeds). Or maybe a big roast sweet potato dolloped with humus (as seen in the picture above) on a bed of spinach. Dinner is usually a version of what everyone else is eating or maybe salmon and veg 'burgers' or bean burgers, fish rolled in nori sheets..... and of course I have my 'sweets' too. Plus my 'sweet' dh who stops nearly daily to buy me punnets of organic blueberries.

I feel... lighter. All my adult life I think I have been bloated daily and not even known it. Like I thought it was just regular after-dinner-fullness. Now I know I was bloated. I have dropped nearly two dress sizes, in what, a a month? Not intentionally but coupled with low appetite and this drastic paring back of my intake and variety of foods, well, my weight has dropped. I have had even moods. This was something else I have never realised. That my dips and sways and irritability levels - which I assumed was me not coping well with life or not being patient enough - actually may have been food related. This is a real shocker. Is it the stable blood sugars? The lack of gluten? Dunno. But I feel, well, happier. More often. Not so irritable. It's nice :)

I'll be posting here on how this goes for me, if it all helps. And the recipes! When I find good ones - I'll post them too.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

I found all that very interesting to read, Claire. I have neverheard of the auto immune condition, but I have had a friend who had to cut out all sorts of things from her diet because of being ill. She also mentionned the smae things as you, the bloated feeling that we all accept as the norm, and the ups and downs that come with blood sugar levels.
I feel inspired as I have my own food issues right now, not in the same league as yours but in a more lacking in energy and erratic moods way. How do you make the change? Suddenly or gradually?
Good luck with your journey I look forward to hearing how it all goes xx

Vanessa said...

I was thinking a lot about you the other day as I too have to change my diet. After suffering for years with fungus - I now have taken the plung to change my diet. Your diet sounds quite like a lot of things I have to cut out. Sugar, yeast, wheat and dairy. Sounds a lot, doesn't it? No fruits for me either. Since 3 days I haven't drunken any fruit juice!!(I used to live of fruit juice!)

I think you are right with feeling bloated after eating gluten. I love bread - being from germany - but each time I go home and eat lots of bread and rolls I always feel so bloated.

Same is for the mood swings and being irritable. After reading Susan Jane Murray website last night it just felt so right as the sugar free analysis just seemed to fit to all the symptoms I go through daily.

What is arrowroot powder? Never heard of it before.

Looking really forward to the recipes. Good luck on your journey!

Vanessa

Julie said...

Wow what an interesting post Claire! It seems that you are coping really well with your condition and actually heaping the benefits. I also really believe that the food we eat affects our behaviour and of course that of our children. I am so pleased to read of the positive benefits you are having as a result of your diet. That sweet potato looks yum as well!! I really hope that things keep on the positive and I am sure that they will as you have such a wonderful attitude and outlook....... Take care J X
ps. I absolutely LOVE the little playmobile scene, brilliant!!!!!

willow81 said...

I had literally just been looking at the Susan Jane Murray site(thanks to your recommendation) before reading this post. What a fantastic looking site, it makes me feel so much more inspired to try the recipes when they are presented so attractively. Good luck on your journey of discovery with your immune system, it is truly fascinating and makes me feel rather ashamed about the cr*p I put in my body.

Thanks for sharing this and yes, please do post some more recipes.

PS: Do you order your specialist ingredients online or use a health food shop?

Claire said...

Vanessa - I buy arrowroot either in any supermarket or at the HFS. In the supermarket look for the baking isle and then look for those little tubs of bicarb. of soda, baking powder, cream of tartar....etc you will then see arrowroot poder - it has a green lid :) One of those tubs is about one cup's worth. So one tub per recipe. yikes.

Claire said...

willow81 - I posted on your new blog about where I buy some things :)

Claire said...

Carolyn -

I made the change from one day to the next - toatally cold turkey :) I had a headache 24/7 for at least 6 days. I felt horrible. I was taking drugs (including steroids at the time also) and was ill without an appetite. So in a way doing it right then has made it easier now. My appetite is still not back fully. But then again my friend who also eats this way tells me she has much less of an appetitie now (even breastfeeding) than she ever did eating 'normally' so perhaps I am experiencing some of that too?

The Paleo diet - that book has a plan to help you cut out grain. Mercola's Total Health book is good, it has many recipes and info and ideas (like what to use as wraps for 'sandwiches' etc, big leaves yada yada.... I have also dipped into a couple of raw cookbooks I have 9 kate Woods and Shazzie's Detox one, but prefer the mercola one for some reason.... I think because I am not raw. I need protein and am happy to eat it, and admit to it :) So his book fits me more.

I'll try and think what other books I have found helpful....

Claire

Sian said...

Hi Claire, great to see you're feeling much better!!!
If on your recipe travels you find any that are - dairy, nut, egg, soya, all legumes, barley, maize, oats and seafood free, please pass them on. I often need inspiration (most days!)

Sian

Carolyn said...

Thanks Claire! I did stop the tea and coffee thing once, cold turkey as it were, and although my intake was very low compared to other people...probably only 5 cups a day with one coffee, I really did have the awful headache symptoms too. So if I think what it would be like for the coffee addicts! Phew!
I just don't know how I will manage to eat well, and feed a house of 5 men too!
Going to check out that book.
:-)

Claire said...

mercola talks a lot about his products that you can buy via his website, that is irksome as you read so I just try to ignore it! But actually his products are pretty fabulous :lol

I am goign to post a list of the food books which have really inspired me so maybe that will be more comprehensive, I'll post the plus points and neg. points fo the books also.

Claire