
Today when I came outside the boys had already been up and out for a while setting up one of their elaborate scence with figures. Honestly, these boys love their figures. Any spare money, people asking what they would like for gifts? It's figures. Usuallly Playmobil. My no-plastic-only-wooden-toy ethos vanished a few years ago as I learned to grow with what my children want and need in the now as opposed to my broader philosophy on toys.... and so we have a balance now, plastic and wood. I prefer the wood. But they are the ones who play :) Not I. In any case, who ever said children don't play imaginativly with plastic toys was wrong. Hear that Rudolph Steiner? We've done it both - the house like a Steiner kindergarten and the house how my children like it - and they play great this way too. It's one of those alternative parenting types of snobbery that I think for a long while I indulged in. But now, I crave only moderation, balance and figuring out what makes my family happy and thriving. There is a place for simple and a time for complex.

One of their schemes and ideas and mad-cap play times today involved tiny men in a construction site. I laughed when I saw it. Then ran to get my camera.

See that tiny map!! A Felix creation.
7 comments:
Those photos are so cute!! My children loved the photos as they have those little brick sets too! Your thoughts on plastic v natural material toys made me smile as I totally agree with what you wrote. I love wooden toys the best, but there is no doubt that you can build much more intricate things with plastic Lego and that's the kind of building that appeals to my boys now they are older, wheras Minnie is very happy still with the wooden blocks. I think parenting is all about changing to meet the needs of your child, that doesn't mean that important morals or principles have to change, you just find a way to encorporate them I suppose. The Playmobil men on the building site make such lovely photos!!
The map is a great touch!
that is so fantastic! How creative!
I am with you on the plastic toy debate...I do not want it to flood in, but I also have to accept that it will find its way in and sometimes that is that.
Glad you are feeling better!
the map is adorable and I really like the bricks too! My kids love their playmobil, they can spend hours playing with them. one of the best toys in my opinion
Great pictures!
I've compromised too, indoors it's virtually all wood outdoors plastic and bathroom plastic; it's just more practical for me and I've salved my conscience a little by buying second hand lol.
And I have wryily noted to myself several times that when we go places were only plastic is available Rye doesn't care one iota he just gets on and plays. Turncoat. lol.
Joxy.
Share your views on toy materials. I love, love, love wood and natural materials for the younger ones. They get amazing play value from them and I don't like to think of the plastics going into their mouths and surrounding their days. But of course children grow older and demand more. And my teens have plastics, model kits, and the rest. Parenting is about compromise after all. And change. And adaptability. And after all, how do you tell a 13 y.o. that video games are not approved of, when you have a self supporting 19 y.o. who has a large variety to share. OK not the same as toys but it's the next step on the path. Eeek, now there's another worry for you all.
xx
i think there is a middle ground isn't there. i find so often i get stuck in a way of thinking, but obviously your kids are using their plastic guys in the most imaginative of ways so point to be made there.
and as far as becks comment about the video games, my in-laws got the girls a nintendo ds this year which i was a little uh-oh about. they went hog wild for about two days and it now sits on ems dresser untouched. we will take it on vacation, but they have far too better things to do.
and the map by the way....brilliant!
Post a Comment