Sunday, June 21, 2009

sew girly



More title-cheese.

All I need is a wagon and a prairie and Esmé would be set. Plus a faithful dog who can swim wild rivers and of course 'Perfect Pa'. My dh has refused to read any more of Laura Ingalls; hearing about the continuous Perfect Pa has worn thin for him - inferiority complex? I asked... hmmmmm.

This sun bonnet pattern is one of Angry Chicken's. But I first saw it on my friend Meldoy's blog and knew I had to make it. The pattern is super easy to follow and comes in three sizes, baby, child and adult .... yeah I know, we could really play at being Laura and Mary here if only I could persuade the boys or get Esmé to understand that being baby Carrie means to be quiet and good All of The Time - I don't think she'd be up for it.



I made the child size as Esmé has a big head. I think this size would better suit her next summer though I think it will be fine it I'd bother to iron it and tweak here and there right now. She tested it out well this morning after my late night sewing session and promptly bumped into a wall not being able to see beyond the brim. I think there was a reason Laura and Mary had their's constantly loose dangling down their backs.... but I do so love it - I used some Laura Ashley print from a pair of oversize PJ's I wore when pregnant for the outside and some super soft cream brushed cotton (pillowcase re-used) for the lining. It is so lovely and soft maybe I will wear it.





Also on the sewing front I seem to be addicted to making these quick pants. They are rife in blogland so I have neglected to mention them before now. However I am approaching maybe 10 pairs just for the wee girl and my dh keeps wondering where his old favourite t-shirts are disappearing too. Whoops. Re-purposing old clothes into new use means just that, I forget though, and constantly swipe things from current wardrobes :) The pattern can be found in Soulemama's Creative Family book, it's a simpleton pattern, they could be whipped up in ten minutes even by someone who has never sewn. Old t-shirt, snip here, snip there, sew, sew. Voilá, not even hemming to do.



I have lots of pretty ribbon so used some to trim these little pants - I wanted to pretty up the functional look you get otherwise. I also made these slightly shorter than regular trousers, so they are below knee-cute length (which look nice under dresses too - she has a pair on under the green dress below in the herb garden). Also all ten pairs are for nappy less times. This girl constantly taps her nappy and screeches to let me know she, er, needs the nappy off. Little cotton pants are easier to wash and dry than thick nappies so her million new pairs of nappy-pant trousers are needed now. Sew girly. She really is so girly! Or at least looks it. See, title does fit :)

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

She is sew gorgeous!!!! As is the hat.....I found myself momentarily wishing I had a girl....but shhhh, don't tell anyone here that!!
I love the Little house books....I long for some of the really lovely illustrated chapter picture books, but that is just pure extravagance!
Just got my copy of Nourishing Traditions....thanks for the reccomendation!

Claire said...

Oh I'd love to hear what you think about it. Some of the recipes - well I just cannot fathom eating so much organ meats! But I see that they would have been a traditional part of our diets. I think mostly I just loved the information at the front of that book.

We have a few tattered copies of old Little House books. I love them, so simple and easy to read and comforting. Some little black and pics....I have not seen fancy illustrated ones tho.

My friend recently loaned me her many volumes of the Anne of Green Gables books - they were lovely and a cosy sort of read too :)

Julie said...

Very cute wee hat!!! I had completely forgotten about those little pants in that book. Thanks for reminding me as Lola could really do with some. I may raid my DH's wardrobe this arvo!! Gotta say those chocolate love balls look scrummy.... I would have to leave the dates in though as I LOVE them. X

Anonymous said...

Aw, how adorably sweet!

lilac73 said...

Lovely little girl in such lovely outfits, may have to try the trousers

nytesong said...

Adorable!