Friday, October 02, 2009

The Fabric



I bought new curtains. To my great joy they were hugely too long and so this meant masses of fabric snippets to sew with. It is a great fabric, thick thick almost canvas-like cotton. Perfect for about a million projects which all presented themselves to me instantly. I literally sewed these all in one mad whirl wind day in between every other little thing required of a busy mama (plus a slice of evening time).



Felix's Drawing Wall Pockets with snippets of The Fabric (a welcome addition to his drawing corner of the sitting room). The wool backing blanket was the one both he and his brother were wrapped in as babies, I have wondered for ages what to do with it as it's no longer used as a blanket really.... a cushion cover didn't seem worthy enough somehow so we are all glad it has a great new use.



Two easy peasy cushion covers with big front folds so I can wash them often (required when the material has white in there and ther are often 50 or so sticky fingers in here).



A bag for the constant scattering of Bionicle men (the loathsome - to me - but much enjoyed, Bionicle men). The other fabric - ta da - was my very first baby pillowcase! Nearly 30 years old now (*nearly* you hear, I am still in my twenties for a good many weeks - months even - yet...)



An ironing board cover! Oh gawd, this was my FAVOURITE. No idea why since I never iron. But my dh has many shirts to do at weekends and other pieces of work clothing, to which I pay scant attention but am aware that the ironing board cover was falling off in shreds. Now it's as neat as a pin and as striped as one of his said garments. I used a rectangle of The Fabric, slightly bigger than the board, sewed a quick hem, threaded some string all through the circumference of the hem and then just pulled it tight under the ironing board. Of everything I sewed this simplicity gave me the most satisfaction of all, the tautness, the practical nature, who knows, but I keep smiling looking at it.



The best thing is I still have some left! Be sure it will show up in pieces around the house until it's devoured.... right now at my machine is a fancy pleated bag pinned for me and also, I am almost embarrassed to say, erm, a bag for storing.... more bags... yeah, lets hope it doesn't look as lame as it sounds.

5 comments:

Slugs On The Refrigerator said...

A bag to store more bags doesn't sound lame...it sounds brilliant. If I didn't have so many stinking bags already, I'd make one.

Oh wait, I don't have a bag to store plastic bags (where do they come from? We never get them and yet there are always some in my house?), with a hole in it for dispensing them...[scuttles off to sewing machine to make a bag for bags.]

Julie said...

Oooo Claire what a crafty mama you are, I am totally in love with the drawing wall pockets..... I have spent all afternoon complaining about the fact that I have too many ideas floating around inside my head and I can't actually get anything done! Right you have inbspired me (once again...)and tonight I am going to finish the princess and the pea set I am making for Talia's birthday. Can;t wait to see more lovely projects with the never ending fabric!! X

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am impressed!

Laura said...

I'm amazed at your productivity! And very jealous! lol. Right away when i read your post I had the urge to go look at my copy of Handmade Home again. :)

Also loving the hats! Ezra's second ever hat is on the needles at the moment - umbilical cord hat in eco cotton, dark green. :) Just need to find some time to knit it! x

lilac73 said...

Thanks - have been thinking we need a new ironing board cover for a while, now I'll put my brain in gear, dig out my bits and pieces of material and make one instead!