Felix and I had a theological discussion today of similar proportions. That is, of a Grand Scale.

Felix - You know.... I think maybe God is drawing us, all of the time!
Me - Mmmmmm, maybe....
Felix - yeah like with a pencil, when we move he has to draw us again!
Me - Yeah I suppose that could be true. Why do you think God is a 'he'?
Felix - Claire! You always think everything is a girl! Like Mother Nature. Some things are boys you know. Like God.
Me - You think God is a boy?
Felix - Yes! It was on Popeye the Sailor Man (sings for a while). Popeye had a big punch in the face and went right up into the clouds, and on a cloud was God, a BOY sitting looking around.
Me - Oh well, it must be true.... You got the idea about God and God being in the sky and being a boy from Popeye?
Felix - Yes!
Me - Some people don't think there is a God at all and in some counties they have lots of Gods, maybe hundreds, like in India: a god for the rain, a god for sun and so on. That must be nice.
Felix - Is that what you think?
Me - No, or maybe.... I sometimes think maybe the Earth is like our God, it gives life to everything and in the end we all turn back into dust which is the Earth.
Felix - I know which God they have in America!
Me - Oh?
Felix - Yeah, it's a man in the Empire State Building and he can control the Empire State Building and make it move.
Me - Really??? Where did that idea come from?
Felix - It was on Ghost busters. The cartoon, not the actual film, which doesn't really have that building moving, that one has the Lady Liberty statue moving. But that's a girl. Anyway, who would you rather be Claire, an Indian living in India with the good music or a Chinese person in China? They have good drawings there.
Me - Tricky question....... can I think about it for a bit?
And so it goes on. And it is hilarious and mind boggling and serious all at once. When we have conversations like this it is so cool being a Mother.
Felix also believes in fairies (are they up for theological discussion? Or do they dwell in the realm and conversation of fantasy - or are the two subjects of a similar nature anyway? Whoops....!). Today we spotted this genuine fairy doorway (or fox hole...) and felt as if we had been touched by magic... which is all 'religon' should ever do anyway.... don't you think?
7 comments:
how fantastically wonderful!
Motherhood is brilliant, isn't it?
I love how children view such complex issues as God and religion!
Love the fairy door, it does look quite magical!
what a fantastic and fantastical conversation!
This was a treat to read. I hope I hear similar discussions in a few years.
Really enjoy your blog - been wanting to pop out of lurking and let you know.
Nora
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the doorway!
So couldn't someone have told me a littler earlier that God was in the Empire State building? You mean for 38 years God has only been three hours away from me!
:) Kids are just ace aren't they! Some of the best conversations I've had with mine have been religion based.
When I was little I thought that Jesus lived in the clouds and wore a pair of blue dungarees (those dungarees that all children under the age of three wore in the 70's) but quite where that came from I don't know!
Love the fairy door. We had a real fairy ring in our old garden, I miss it.
Fantastic, I love conversations like that :)
Post a Comment