Friday, October 02, 2009

winter hats afresh



Last year I seem to recall doing some sort of count of the hats I knitted and posting about them, probably I dwindled off or forgot to post them all, who knows, there are only so many knitted hats that can hold a person's interest. Yet here I am again. If not quite the same place, then certainly only a fraction away from where I stood last year in the hat making department. My tally so far this season is four hats, the fifth is on my needles now. Why do we all need so may hats? What happens to the previous year's ones? Don't they end up fitting other children as they grow? I can't answer any of these questions, too tricky. It's easier just to knit. Don't talk, just knit might be an apt motto for these situations.

The boys wanted matching ones.



I knit mine in a frenzy of coldness one night on holiday (in Scotland so that figures). Both the boys and my patterns are the same, from The Stitch and Bitch Handbook.



Esmé gets her third Little Turtle Knits Pilot hat. Here's one, and two. I just love this pattern. It's lovely to knit, easy but with enough interest that you don't get bored with constant repetition. I-cords! I love making i-cords, so clever and addicitng: sliding those three stitches along the needle and knitting again.... *sigh*, very lovely to feel for some reason. I knit one of these beauties for my nephew last year that my SIL said he wore every day without fail for months, how perfect is that? It's his second on my needles right now. PLUS this is one of those hats that little ones seem to forget they are wearing and don't bother trying to yank off all the time.



Esmés wool was from swap I did with Melody ages ago, It's O-Wool, beautifully soft merino with a lovely matt sheen. I can't find a supplier here in the UK or I'd surely buy more. It's that sort of addicting looking and feeling, the colour and softness. Felix's hat (well, one of them) last year was from this same stuff but in a deep green).



My dh is a reluctant hat wearer (but with his dwindling supply of hair I tell him this winter might be one he may be glad of some wool up there). I am planning on knitting him a hat for Christmas. When he sees it, this so far mythical hat, his reluctance at woolly hat wearing will be over. For sure. Or else I'll end up with another hat.

I'll be sure to post about that one :)

And the others. There will be others. I know it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love them all but I especially like the colours in Isaac and Felix's!
I've just picked up my needles again in an attempt to finally master the art. So far I can cast on and knit. Casting off is quite an interesting experience at the moment but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I knitted a chick in the Spring but I've somehow forgotten everything I learnt back then ;)

Love to all,
Natalie
x

Amber Liddle said...

I need to figure out how to get Ingrid not to pull her hats off! I tried your pixie hat idea out of a thrifted sweater and it looks SO CUTE!! But it only stays on for two seconds before she rips it off...I'll keep trying.

You look so cute in your hat, too! Lucky you to be able to knit, I never could get the hang of it.

Heather said...

I made Aziel that exact same hat wit hteh same wool and same color even ;) I thought it was the same wool when I first saw it :)

I need to make some more now - that one is too small on her now - what size did you make? Needle size? I've found there's a gap between the toddler size and the child size.

Pippa said...

Oh how pretty does your little girl look in that hat!!! Minnie unfortunately pulls hats off the minute they have been put on her. I don't think any of my babies wore hats, it was very frustrating!! Hot headed lot we must be!!

Claire said...

Heather that's the child size and it is too big, you are right the toddler size is too small... I wish I had thought to use smaller needles maybe on the child hat, or actully bigger needles on the toddler size would be better..... tell me what you discover if you experiment! :) How funny that we used the same wool! I do remember now I think hard - was it the photo where she was wearing the striped purple Hanna Anderson clothes too?

Anonymous said...

Ahh, fantastic hats! You can never have too many. And I know I say it pretty much everytime I leave a comment, but she is just so adorable =]

Earthenwitch said...

I am thinking of adding that hat to the ever-growing list of things I will knit When I Get Time, not least because Esme looks so sweet in hers, and the witchling is in need of a winter hat... So thank you for the pattern link. :)

Melody said...

I'm a slow poke with reading blogs these days ;) But I'm so glad you are back to blogging! You are one of my favorite reads.

You're hair is getting so long!

I *love* her in that color. I think it looks great, so I'm glad I went with that one. :)

I'm just about finished the project with the yarn you sent!