
This was Isaac's doll, a fifth birthday gift. It has been 'madeover' for Felix who after seeing Talia's beautiful new doll Tilly, wanted his own. So here is Tom. Purple haired Tom. Not quite sure why he has purple hair, only my hair coloured yarns looked really drab and since I had been informed that this was to be an adventuring doll I decided magical purple hair would be best. I used a mix of blue and purple and the followed the hair tutorial on Crafty Sheep blog. Hair is tricky. This was my third attempt at hair making on a doll and the best by FAR. If you had seen the lump I pulled from this doll's head earlier you would have sighed and probably muffled a giggled and then maybe have ran from the room screaming because on the floor it looked really very much like a dead rat. This tutorial was fab. And I loved the haircutting session afterwards to make it boy-like. I sponged the face, reworked the eyes and re-threaded and tightened the limbs. Then I set about making new clothing since the previous ones had vanished. The sweater I cut and sewed from an old one of my own, the trousers from a nightdress of Esmé - and then some more striped trousers from scraps left over from bag making. The back-pack was very much requested and was fiddly but exciting to invent and sew. Yes, I was excited over a doll bag. My life is grand :)

Now apparently I need to knit accessories. And make a bed and some snow boots. More excitement in store for me. Oh yes. What fun I shall have. Actually I probably will, that is the funny part of this story. Ahem.

But still I made a doll with purple hair that made my son smile so it's all good.

9 comments:
That's a beautiful doll, I wish I could make something like that but knitting is the limit of my creativity.
That last photo is a beauty.
Oh for just one ounce of your talent and I would be happy! What a wonderful, unique creation. Lucky Felix.
Beautiful....clever you x
OH WOW..... I love this punky little guy, lucky Felix!!!! He is really cool Claire, I love his clothes and little backpack. I wish that I had thought to make a doll for Kalem when he was younger.... I don't think that he would appreciate it now that he has lost his boyish innocence! I think that it is really cool that the doll you made for Isaac inspired me to make a doll for Talia and now Talia's doll has inspired you to remake it for Felix. What a wonderful circle of creative happiness....... J XX
ps. YES I would really love you to pass on the magazine to me, I've never heard of it before, butit sounds great, thanks for thinking of me. Do you still have my address? I will have a look for a good magazine to send to you too... X
To be honest even when I made it for Isaac he never played with it all that much.... he just was not into it, even though he was little and highly imaginative, I guess sometimes they just don't appeal to some boys anyway (or girls I suppose!). With that in mind I still can't work out how it came to be in such a sad state! I guess it must have been chucked around a lot :) It has a new lease of life anyway now.
I thought that EXACT same thing last night - how we have this circle of inspiration going on! I love that about blog-land and online 'friends' .
I am sure I have your address in my email account, I'll check, I seem to never deleate emails so it will be there some where!
Oh my goodness that is a fabulous doll! Aww and the last picture is just heart melting.
I do find the second from last picture amusing - rather looks likes the doll is leaning against a wall waiting to be frisked by the purple haired doll police! hehehehe.
Without exaggeration, that is the coolest, most hip, and down with it doll ever. He obviously buys his clothes at all the trendiest shops (Urban Outfitters?)and gets his hair re-dyed every 6 weeks.
In all honesty though, I am really impressed
I love the purple hair. Makes it all the more magical.
And what a cute little backpack.
I recently have been inspired to start reusing clothes of the girls, what a way to keep them around.
Thanks for sharing!
Hi there!
I am so glad my tutorial was helpful! And I just have to say that I LOVE the doll and his hair. :) Good job!
Post a Comment