Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Birthday Wool



This is the Christmas cardigan I never finished. Did I even start it...? I had a manic amount of gifts I was excited to do then and this fell to the bottom of my list. I have managed to finish it in time for a birthday gift for the wee Boo. Only because I was mock-stern and told myself I could not put another project onto my needles until I finished at least one thing first (I swear sometimes I think about buying more needles simply because mine are all tangled up in half finished projects). This looked the most likely to complete and since I REALLY really want to get started on some Baby Legs I have been knitting into the small hours to finish this off (I speed up and get addicted near the end).





But it helped that the wool was so very very lovely to touch. This is one of those yarns that gets softer and softer the more it is touched. I knit a hat in the same stuff a while back and now it is keeping the head of my niece warm as Esmé outgrew it. It is from a local shop. It is a merino cashmere blend. The colour is quite accurate in these photos, I just love it! The pattern is the Shawl collared one from the Baby Knits for Beginners book by Debbie Bliss. I bought some fancy buttons with hand painted poppies on but I always knit my button holes too small and these were too big so I substituted some little dotty ones from my button jar. You can buy some lovely bags of these buttons here. I have this fascination with buttons and collecting them which is unfortunate for my dh as he has phobia of them. No joke! It took him years to tell me about it but I always forget and hold them right up to his face for his super close inspection. It's a selective phobia though, like necessary buttons are ok, but decorative ones freak him out. So he really LOVES my felt hair elastics and brooches, what with their sole decorative appeal. :)

She's doing her mad maniac look here where she screeches at us and cackles wildly.


I think I would also quite like to make her a fabric book but am not sure what sort, with fabric photos, or with bits that go in pockets? .... ideas most welcome!



While waiting for my bath to run last night I ran this up for Isaac (I had a luxurious ten minutes to myself as everyone else set up a train track). I made him a robin brooch for Christmas and he liked it lots so I thought I'd make a bigger one to hang on a random hook behind his top bunk: For sweet dreams and to rub the red belly for luck we decided. It is wool felt with some carded fleece stuffing.

5 comments:

willow81 said...

Oh I love those buttons, have bookmarked that. I'm planning a little sleeveless top from the Lois Daykin baby knits book, and those buttons would look perfect on the shoulder. Until now I've been pretty good about not starting another project until I've finished the one I'm working on, but I think that's going to change as I've got yarn for another pair of babylegs (that fit this time), I want to knit the 'Boyfriend Hat' for DH for Valentines, and the little top for Monkey.

I love the idea of the fabric photos book btw, there's one in SOulama's book but as my repertoire hasn't expanded to sewing yet it's just a pipe dream!

xx

Claire said...

I am making the Baby Legs! Only I decided to rib the whole of the them so that they don't fall down.

I have the Soulemama book and saw that book but I fancied something different as I don't have the material-photo stuff and want to use things I already have yk. I have been thinking about it and think I'll do one with little pockets where you get to pull something out on a string attached to the book, animals and such....

yeah - the buttons are sweet, I bought the bag multi pack and I still have so many left in lots of colours they are great. Also the vintage button bags there are good too I bought a couple and now have lots of interesting buttons for my boys to sort through. I love the idea of having a giant tin like my Grandma's one day full of a million different interesting buttons... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
great blog, I especially like the doll and the felt birds and the hair bands and everything else!
What an inspiration.
Innis is busy sewing this morning, thankyou gifts for his christmas pressies (better late than never!) Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

You have well and truly got the sewing bug! I don't know if it's the fact that we've begun a new year, the promise of Spring or what but I'm pretty inseperable from my craft desk at the mo' too!
My SIL is teaching me to knit so maybe that's going to become a new obsession.

I have an award for you over on my blog ;)
http://bohemianmumma.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/a-forest-of-happiness/

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous jumper and a gorgeous wee girl. The blog is great..I can't wait to read it more thoroughly (not at 3am!)