Thursday, April 29, 2010

a little egg



All of our hens have been broody. All of them. It's ridiculous. I throw them off the nest (or lock them out of the hen house), but no eggs. How very odd that broodies don't even lay eggs to sit on..... or maybe they did way back and we took them. Anyway, finally we had an egg this morning. Had an egg. Esmé insisted on carrying it (read insisted as: screech loudly at me until I capitulated and gave her it). Put it in your pocket Esmé, keep it safe, I tell her. No! Esmé carry it! she yells, fog horn loudness at me. And she doesn't just carry it, but dance with it too, whereby it slips from fat fingers. Oh no, poor egg, breathlessly whispered.







And then, she declares with a flourish, leaving it to it's fate, never mind! And I suppose she's right.

4 comments:

Amber Liddle said...

The pictures all tell that story so well! She is adorable :)

Claire said...

DD insists on getting the eggs too, usually very carefully, but recently she has taken to shaking them, or smashing them together!! I suppose for them it is just one more natural thing around them to be explored, and how wonderful that they can do so.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

oh your little Esme is so much like my little Esme , so funny, and cute. My little one is also going through that stage of insisting she knows best :-) Loved that story - so so lovely.

Julie said...

HI Claire.... What a gorgeous post, little Esme reminds me so much of Lola, seriously even their hair (apart from being a different colour) is EXACTLY THE SAME... I do still pop by often to read your beautiful blog, but I don't seem to find the time to write mine any longer. Life is very busy for me now with my studies, but I am loving every moment of being a student midwife. Much love and blessing to you and your wonderful family, love Julie XX