Sunday, April 18, 2010

polly dolly



Time for a doll for The Beauty. She likes to take clothes on and off a tiny little cloth doll that I bought in Ikea a million years ago. I was awake in the night and kept on thinking about how she might like a limbed doll, like Purple Haired Tom, but much smaller. So I made one. It was pretty easy. The body pieces are just cut and sew and stuff (with carded sheep wool). The head only a teeny bit more to it, I used the book Making Waldorf Dolls as my guide. I used the Crafty Sheep hair tutorial again, it has some good links in the sidebar resource guide for more handy tips and so on.



I did the whole thing in bits and pieces (how can anyone do crafty things any other way with children in every corner of the house and garden waiting to pop out at you and ask for something every time you sit down?). So there was lots of sewing up the odd limb in between making smoothies, or wiping someones butt, or chasing a stray chicken, or drying someones eyes and applying liberal amounts of magic cream to a much realer limb.....

The headless chook doll, a tiny bit scary.



Polly Dolly. Ready for, and then having some adventures. She's not perfect in any sense but she's a fine first doll for a little girl who will probably drown her in a muddy puddle.







I think she likes her



I whipped this up double quick for The Beauty's wee cousin while I was in the sewing room.

7 comments:

Roof said...

Wow - what beautiful dolls - I especially like purple-haired Tom! xx

Joxy34 said...

Fabulous! I'm loving the hair!

The Yarn Owl said...

The dolly is gorgeous!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

That doll looks pretty prefect to me - gorgeous!

arwen_tiw said...

What a beautiful baby for Beauty! Lovely. :)

Pippa said...

Oh, that doll is brilliant!! Seriously, I'd be so bloomin pleased if I'd made it, it's perfect! I am in the process of trying to make my dolls heads more shapely and am finding it really hard. I lent my Making Waldorf Dolls book to my auntie, I think I will have to buy another one as it was such a good book to refer too! Looking forward to seeing what clothes you dress the dolly in!

Anonymous said...

gosh, the Beauty is really growing!

love the hair. absolutely, love the hair...